opening a gym near another

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had thought I was going to be able to purchase the one gym in our town. I know the owners well, I went to them, and we had a few conversations, and it seemed promising. However, they were very vague. When I finally pushed them to tell me exactly what they were looking for, it turns out, they don't really want to sell it. The person that was going to be buying the gym (I'm going to be program director/head coach), suggested we just open a gym ourselves if they don't want to cooperate. I like this idea much better because I wouldn't have to work under the current owners of the the other gym, I could start whichever programs I thought would be good, we'd actually have decent equipment. But I'm not sure whether that is right to do. I don't want it to completely ruin my relationship with the owners of the other gym. I thought about presenting it to them like I'm just accepting another job offer other than theirs, which is essentially what I would be doing.

I feel like I want to go ahead and do this anyway, but is that a horrible thing to do? I know many places have two gyms.

Many places have more than two gyms. And I see nothing wrong with accepting an offer that will progress your career, which is what this offer would do. You are basically taking a job as a program director and head coach with a brand new gym and you're getting in from the ground up, getting to build the programs and really help open and establish the gym. That sounds like a dream job to me! And that's how your current employers should see it, too. It's a wonderful opportunity for you.

Just ask yourself, how you'd feel if you didn't do it. From the sounds of it, this seems like something you'd REALLY want to do - make it "your baby", follow your own vision of a gym. Life doesn't always go smooth, you were trying to cooperate first but if you didn't do it, would you regret it? If yes, do it.

take a look at the demographics such as population, average income, how many children are around, schools are around, etc.

you are currently working for those owners right now, right?

Nope, not currently working for them. I have in the past and I know them pretty well, but I haven't worked for them for a few years.

The city itself has about 23,000 people, but there are about 8 surrounding towns that have probably another 15,000. 19.6% of the population is children under 18. Median income is $37,033. There are 13 schools in the surrounding area with 4,617 students, plus about 5 private schools that I can think of, and another 5 in another school district, but only 20 min. away.

I'm glad to have all that information, but what does it mean, exactly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back