MAG optional rings question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
So, let's just suppose hypothetically there's a first year L8 guy who has a rings routine that goes like this: inlocate - not terrible yamawaki - L seat - press to HS - bail to dislocate - DB off. The routine's somewhat clean and scoring pretty well, usually in the mid 11s.

Is it remotely reasonable a) for said guy to change the routine so that right after the yamawaki it goes straddle L to planche to L seat to press HS (assume the straddle L and planche are less than things of beauty and the consecutive strength moves make the press uglier and leave him with little gas in the tank for the DB) and then b) believe that he's horribly behind the curve and hopeless at rings when this doesn't seem to be working for him? Or am I missing something and the upgraded routine described here is something one should expect a decent first-year L8 guy to be able not just to do, but to compete?

DS the elder has those moves - and his coach says save them for next year. He's scoring low to mid 11s without his DB dismount because of his ankle injury...not same routine as your DSs "basic" one, but very similar. We were recently at a largish invitational meet - and only saw a few planches, and they were less than pretty....of course, my kiddo had to take most of his stuff out of his routines this year due to his injury, so we are in "wait for next year land" for pretty much everything - just happy states will be over after this weekend....

Only thing I would see in the original routine is that it doesn't seem to have 8 skills. So I would think to try to add skills to get to 8.

Otherwise, simple and clean is the key. I have learned that this year. so if the skills are not ready, then wait on them :)

DS has a lovely Tsuk...but with so little vaulting in practice its either a 12+ or landed on his behind...its just that kind of a year....except pommel, which is an absolute disaster.....states tomorrow...regionals too far away to go this year even if both boys make it so looking forward to the season being over

Well, he warmed up the whole godawful thing at states. Did everything but the planche. Got duly and painfully deducted for the hot mess. And walked away pissed off because he didn't manage to get the planche in there.

He. Is. Driving. Me. Crazy.

Sometimes they are so determined to do whatever it is they want to do. It can be so frustrating to watch! And there is no convincing them otherwise. That is the tough part. They want to do the really hard skills before the really hard skills are really ready. Sigh. Boys.

Putting the hard skills in is okay, if you have the attitude of this will pay off next year. The boys just need to remember they can't kvetch about low execution scores if they're putting in skills that are still really rough around the edges.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back