Osgoods

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymstar

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi all
Has anyone had a child with Osgoods or a child suffering with Osgoods - wondering if you had any good tips on how best to handle - anything that has worked really well - other than not doing gym for months..................
:)

We have a boy at our gym with osgoods, unfortunately, there's not much you can do apart from rest, keep training until they can cope and when they feel like they cannot train anymore get them to stop and ice :) also going to a physio and getting excercises is good, I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the boy also gets it massaged by the physio and that seems to help a bit

Well, I'm not sure I can recommend this, but my dd took Advil every day before practice for about a year! Ice after practice helped, too, but she didn't do it nearly enough, which I think might have contributed to the huge bump she has there now. Targeted massage is very good if you can tolerate a little pain, because it helps stretch the tendon (a tight tendon is what causes the pressure where it connects to top of shin), but again, I think it needs to be done every day to help. We tried a Chopat strap, which fits below the knee and is supposed to move the pressure and therefore relieve pain, but she felt that it hurt more. Hers started when she was 10 and she is 13 now. It still hurts her on occasion (especially if she accidentally lands on her knee, it brings her to tears) but it is tolerable for the most part.

A good podiatrist will help. Oscon is a vitamin supplement which some people find helps. To stop the bumps forming you need to modify training big time. Rest the knees, ice and condition.

I looked into this when DD started getting a sore knee and I got worried (luckily she did not go on to develop Osgoods). There is a physio in the UK who recommends massaging the quadriceps muscles in a downwards direction toward the knee for 2 minutes each day. The idea is to release the muscles so there is less pull on the knee.

DS has SLJ which is like Osgoods but a different growth plate. Reading for tips. I bought a bench with a leg attachment but the knee isn't ready to rehab -- has been so frequently reinjured -- and last time he was at gym, he was doing modified training on the tumble track (which would have worked) except he then mis-landed on a hard surface from an even higher height b/c of the tumble track. Coaches want him to work, knee just kept getting it. Might have to repeat. Dr. said this growth plate will be closed in about six months though.

There is a band that you can buy from a sports good store. It has a dowel rod on it that goes on that tendon under the knee cap. That might help. Some require surgery. Just depends on how bad it is.

There are other straps besides chopat, my DD likes some of the other ones better. KT taping by an experienced physical therapist. PT to strengthen the muscles, Oscon, Alleve, and if it gets really bad, a week off and steroids

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back