MAG Other sport to complement gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

OwlGalLiz

Proud Parent
My 5.5 year old has a ton of energy. He's pre-team now, and the plan is for him to compete next season. Thing is, he's got the ability and skill. His focus needs work (he is just 5.5) and he has a ton of energy. It's been suggested that we find another sport to complement gymnastics and burn off that energy. Anyone in a similar situation, and can anyone recommend another sport to do as well that won't hurt his gymnastics?

Martial arts. Great for focus, strength and flexibility. Or just the playground with friends :)

At 5.5....anything. At that age, D was still doing soccer, baseball, wrestling, basketball, swimming, pretty much anything we could get him into. That and just playing, riding bikes, and hanging with friends! I don't think anything will hurt his gymnatics at 5.5!

Swimming is great for kids with excess energy. Its cardio. It strengthens the entire body and at that age water safety is so important.

Thanks. He wants to go to the gym more, but it's not an option (save for any open gym we can find, and there are several gyms in the area) as pre team is twice a week. He's really not interested in any sport but gymnastics, but we need to get him doing something. He has too much energy to burn lol.

Coach doesn't want him doing more tumbling (we asked last month, he says he will get all he needs on pre-team) and there is no trampoline class as there is only the tumble track at this time- no other trampolines yet (still a fairly new gym that is expanding). If we had the ok I would sign him up in a heartbeat.

He gets plenty of outdoor play, bike and scooter time with friends. Plus we have a mushroom at home. He is just full of energy (not add or ADHD, just a typical 5.5 year old with lots of energy).

Anything that will make him tired enough to go to sleep on time, or early.

Martial arts, McDojo's, boxing, judo, wrestling.

Try anything and everything. Capoeira, going to the park, CrossFitKids, yoga (doubtful but maybe he'd focus).

If I had my druthers, I'd say open gym somewhere.

I know 5 year olds and energy! I wish I had half of it! I'm not sure if there is a running "class" or "club" but some friends kids LOVE the kid version of cross fit. Rock climbing gyms have kids classes (especially in the summer) that could be fun and help him gain strength.

I ditto rock climbing or swimming. Swimming is such a great work out with no pounding on the joints and is, of-course, important for kids to know. Now that my gymnastics days are over, I'm wishing I had spent more time in swim team as a kid so I'd have better technique swimming laps as an adult. I think it is great to teach children sports they can continue throughout their life.

Rock climbing is great fun, takes a lot of strength, and requires thinking about steps and routes (which is a great skill for a kid to learn).

Funny you say piano. We actually bought one as couple months ago as he is musically inclined and he's about to start lessons (I have taught him "chopsticks" and "heart and soul"). I can see that as concentration is important in piano lessons. Maybe that will do the trick.

Thanks for the recommendations all!

My ds who isn't / wasn't into other sports except gymnastics did swim and tae kwon do for a while. A little t ball with the kids in the neighborhood too. Did a basic music / piano class. Gymnastics hours go up so quick, at 5 I would encourage him to try new things just to try them, plus as you said they are great for burning energy and increasing focus.

I would definitely look at swimming!

Overheard one of our best optionals bragging to his teammates last night about how he's going out for school football starting in a few weeks. This is a guy who has struggled with injuries but made it to nationals and qualified for JE finals. When the coaches find out, their heads are gonna explode.

Struggled with injuries and going out for football? LOL. Good luck on that. He might get chewed up just in tryouts if he wasn't too small. Sort of depends how good his team and area is.

He is currently in swim lessons (he was not a fan of the water until he turned three), and is finally starting to enjoy them. I think I will see about enrolling him in more after our vacation. Right now he's taking a safety course that led to basic swim technique. So maybe a swim class that teaches strokes will help him burn off some of that energy. Thanks for the suggestions. Water safety is important, I agree.

no diving unless they land feet first ONLY. gymnasts can not learn head entry dives until after they leave gymnastics. :)

I remembered seeing that about diving from another post. No worries with my little guy- he's barely swimming so diving won't be happening anytime soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back