Other sports relating to gymnastics without risk of head injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've heard of a lot of gymnastics going into diving after finishing. Even Olympians and such. I considered it but didn't want to take time out from gym time. :)

Most track coaches drool over gymnasts for pole vaulting, but that might be slightly risky for you. Another sport I can think of and I don't think it has been mentioned is rowing/crew.

Rock climbing. The strength and flexibility from gymnastics makes for really good climbers. Indoors, I've never seen anyone hit their head.

Most track coaches drool over gymnasts for pole vaulting, but that might be slightly risky for you. Another sport I can think of and I don't think it has been mentioned is rowing/crew.

The typical gymnast might be too small to row but could make a great cox

Keep in mind, FIG governs 7 disciplines of gymnastics. Artistic isn't the only one.
I liked the suggestion of being a base in acrobatic gymnastics. Or aerobic gymnastics. I'd suggest almost any other forms of acrobatics that involve less tumbling. Hand balancing? Don't see why you should need to leave something you enjoy. :)

Sorry to hear about your concussions :/... I vote competitive dance or rythmic gymnastics if you're the graceful/flexible type, and track and field or tennis if you're a power gymnast type. I actually know of a couple of former gymnasts who went into tennis and they became "ranked" pretty quickly. Gymnasts, both current and former, seem to take well to most any sport, so you can pretty much take your pick IMO :). Try a few rec classes in lots of different things, and then see which one you like best. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back