Other sports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone do a school sport and gym? How hard/ easy is it to do both?
I want to join my high school swim team(I've been swimming every summer sense I can remember) but I'm afraid that with the busy schedule I could end up have it will keep me from going to L8 and 2 I of the meet conflict so I would have to pick which to go to. If I chose to do it I would, on Mondays and Tuesdays got gym 3:45-5:45 and then rush out to the pool(which is an hour away) and get there by 7-8:30, tip,advice, anything really?

A swimmer over here! Swimming is a great form of conditioning as it trains body shape, upper body strength and endurance and furthermore is very easy on the joints. I always encourage it. HOWEVER it is also a real energy burner, so if you consider joining especially if it is a competitive team, make sure first there is no conflict between the competition seasons of both sports (cause if so, you wont make it through alive) and then try out before comitting, doing swimming directly after gym and gym directly after school sounds tough to me.

I do gymnastics and karate. I'm fairly
New to gym since I've only been in for about a year and I'm not on team yet, and I just got my blackbelt in karate (!!!). There's only one day a week where I have both gym and karate, and I just plan life around that day as much as I can. I think when I get to team in gym and spend more hours there I will probably have to cut back on karate, just because doing two year round sports seems like a bit much. If swimming is only one season it might not be too bad. But sometimes the back to back training can be a bit much, especially when both coaches seem to want to have us do a ton of strength and conditioning on the same day.

I talk to my coaches about it and decided not to... I look at our meet schedule and found out everyone but one meet conflicts in some way, thanks for the tips! Maybe I'll try again next year, hopefully the meets won't conflict

I do the swim team(look at my username) and since my gymnastics isn't really quite that competitive yet, i never have to worry about conflicts. Even when i get into the competitive levels, i still think i could make it work, depending on my level i am with each sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back