PA Prep Op?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Does anyone know about the regulations for PA Prep Op? On the PA USAG site I can find a list of the skills allowed at each level of Prep Op but no general information... like does a gymnast have to be a certain age to participate in Prep Op? And I seem to remember something about needing to have a Level 5 move-up score in order to participate at some levels of Prep Op, but again, I can't find where I read that.

The Y team that my DD is on generally progresses something like this... Level 3, Level 4, Level 5, Prep-op until you're ready for Level 7 (which takes a while given the limited practice hours), and then do a meet at Level 6 to qualify for Level 7. Right now she's at Level 5, so I'm thinking ahead to next year.

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken I think in order to go Prep-Op you have to score a certain score, I think a 33.00, at a Level 6 meet. When my dd had her first level 6 meet there were about 5 other gymnasts there from our gym competing with us. That's why they were there, in order to score out. Your coaches should be able to answer your questions, though. I'm sure they have a manual somewhere.

I also don't think there's an age limit but I could be wrong. One of the reasons I didn't really want my dd to go that route was because of the age difference. Most of the girls on the Prep-Op team in our old gym are all 13 and over. I think they now have a couple 10-11 year olds but my dd just turned 9 and will be competing Level 7.

Level 6 is a tough level both skill wise and judging so some gyms.

Based on last season's age range at PA sectionals and states, 8 was the youngest for beginner and intermediate and 11 for advanced.

This is from the USAG website:

C. FORMAT, SUB-DIVISIONS, AND/OR AGE DIVISIONS​
•​
Once the State Administrative Committee determines the specific nature of the PREP Optional division(s) for their state, rules governing these PREP Optional divisions must parallel the regulations for competition at comparable USAG Compulsory or Optional levels, as listed in the Rules and Policies.

o​
For example: A state using PREP Optional Level 3 would be required minimally to follow rules governing Level 3 competition; i.e., the minimum age of 4 yrs., judges’ qualifications and compensation, warm-up times, etc..

•​
The minimum age for the corresponding Jr. Olympic levels must be used, but the State Administrative Committee may set higher age requirements.

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/part3-prepopt.pdf

Level 6 is a tough level both skill wise and judging so some gyms.

:confused:

Not a good idea to try to answer a post and talk on the phone at the same time. :eek: What I was trying to say was that some gyms choose to do prep-op and then progress to level 7 after doing a meet or two at level 6 so they can get their progression score.

Thanks... I got the gist!;) We moms have to multitask or else there wouldn't be enough hours in the day!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back