WAG Pain in hands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
My daughter has been mentioning pain in the palms of her hands.
The fleshy part that is between her pinky and her wrist.

We are about to start strengthening her wrists (we were told to get a stick and tie a weight to it, and have her roll it up and back down to strengthen the wrists), and my layman mentality thinks this will help the palms too (I would totally assume it's all connected).

BUT, does anyone have any other / contradicting information?
She's L6, doing the L6 skills, and only starting higher level skills. She does giants on the strap bar, but it's not like she's some crazy bar worker.
I get the sore wrists, with the tumbling, etc. And part of me thinks that the palms could be from impact, but if someone more knowledgeable has more information, I'd love to hear it!

I know for me and a few teammates that strap bar hurts that part of our hands. That might be a small portion. If it gets worse I would see a sports med doctor. And maybe try a few visits of PT? Many places/insurances don't require a doctor note, and learning some additional exercises might be beneficial.

The best wrist exercise I know of is simply filling a bucket with rice about elbow deep. Submerge arm up to elbow and make circles with the wrist while keeping the elbow still. They can also spell the alphabet with the wrist. Sounds like she may have strained a hand muscle though, for that use a lump of clay and squish it with hand, 30 seconds on 30 off. Hope that helps.

Reactions: sce
Is is the friction from swinging on the bars? Causing the skin to callus?
No, her hands are soft. It's the area if you squeeze the fleshy part between the pinky and the wrist. It seems possibly more from pressure on the bar, rather than friction.

The best wrist exercise I know of is simply filling a bucket with rice about elbow deep. Submerge arm up to elbow and make circles with the wrist while keeping the elbow still. They can also spell the alphabet with the wrist. Sounds like she may have strained a hand muscle though, for that use a lump of clay and squish it with hand, 30 seconds on 30 off. Hope that helps.
That sounds like a very cool exercise that she will think is fun - thank you!
For squishing the clay, would it be pump it for 30 seconds, squish it around and knead it for 30 seconds, and just squeeze and hold for 30 seconds? (sorry if I sound stupid - I want to make sure that I don't have her do something that might make it worse).
Thank you!

No, her hands are soft. It's the area if you squeeze the fleshy part between the pinky and the wrist. It seems possibly more from pressure on the bar, rather than friction.

That sounds like a very cool exercise that she will think is fun - thank you!
For squishing the clay, would it be pump it for 30 seconds, squish it around and knead it for 30 seconds, and just squeeze and hold for 30 seconds? (sorry if I sound stupid - I want to make sure that I don't have her do something that might make it worse).
Thank you!
Whatever works! :) I just suggested 30 on and off as a starting point.

With the clay, use modeling clay not playdough. Playdough is way softer. I think just squeezing and squishing, ie changing it around, not squeezing and holding it for the whole 30 seconds. 30 seconds will seem like a long time, it is quite tiring to do this, but great for grip strength.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back