WAG Platinum anyone??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sportsmommy

Proud Parent
So my dd is competing platinum this year and we just got our first meet schedule. There isnt many platinums at all! Last year, she competed gold and had plenty of competition. Does anyone have any idea if platinum is usually like this? I am ok with there not being many but some competition would be nice.

So my dd is competing platinum this year and we just got our first meet schedule. There isnt many platinums at all! Last year, she competed gold and had plenty of competition. Does anyone have any idea if platinum is usually like this? I am ok with there not being many but some competition would be nice.

Our platinum group is the largest on the Xcel team (mine does USAG but I think there are 15 - 20 girls). Unfortunately, I think the amount of competition partly depends on the location. It seems like VA has embraced the Xcel program, so competition has not been a problem. Diamonds do seem to have a lot less competition though.

There seem to be very few platinums here too. According to DDs coach, the xcel program here is growing from the ground up. They started the program with all bronze and silvers. They actually just added platinum this year- for some of the golds from last year. Since it's the first level to require mobility from the previous, and xcel levels are so flexible to begin with, they see no reason to score girls out and skip gold (why DD went bronze- gold instead of bronze-platinum). So, next year there will be more platinums. That was the story from 3 gyms here, at least.

We only had about 30 Xcel Platinum kids in the state last year! We are a state that never competed pre-opt but slowly more and more clubs are offering Xcel. Currently most of the platinum kids are former JO athletes. I bet in the next few years there will be more platinums as more athletes come up through the xcel program.

It really depends on the area where you are. Many parts of the country used to use platinum instead of old 6, so there were a lot more girls competing it. But with the changes in the new 6 (namely, it has optional routines), more gyms are using L6 instead of platinum. In other parts, the xcel program is just beginning to grow, and it takes a while for the numbers to increase in the upper levels, as MIL said.

We only had about 30 Xcel Platinum kids in the state last year! We are a state that never competed pre-opt but slowly more and more clubs are offering Xcel. Currently most of the platinum kids are former JO athletes. I bet in the next few years there will be more platinums as more athletes come up through the xcel program.
Our state had almost 80. I looked back for 2012 and 2013 as well and it was pretty much the same number so our state didn't see a significant drop.

Edit: I just checked the gold for 2014 and there were nearly 200. but only 100 for silver. So it appears that maybe girls are staying in gold for 2 years and/or skipping silver for gold. Also - only 5 for Diamond. That's a new level for our state so not too surprising but I would have expected a little more.

Last edited:
I check our state for last year out of curiosity. There were almost 200 golds and 120 platinums. Not really sure what that means...

I don't know how many platinums there are at DD's gym but I do know that this is the first year that they have platinum there -so I'm guessing they don't have a ton.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back