MAG Please share some tips on conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
OK since I'm really a newbie in my gymnastics class(previously a swimmer) I'd like to ask for some kind of workout for MAG, the only things I managed to do at practice were crunches,pullovers and push ups but I was stunned when some 8 years old kids beat me at doing them. They bodyweight strength is insane thanks to gymnastics so that brought me here asking for some exercises to help me in gymnastics.

D does daily conditioning at home (on his own). He does pushups, situps, flexibility routines. He does pull ups on the pull up bar. He does v-ups on his bar. He also adds in some running for cardio and mushroom. Wall handstands, press handstands, planches, mannas, are all good too.

I think the key woudl be consistency. D will do what they do at gym at home as far as conditioning goes. Good luck!

I am sure some of the coaches on here will be able to give you more :)

As the above user stated the biggest part is consistency, as for cardio, you're a swimmer so don't waste time with it and gymnastics is all short burst power oriented anyway so no need for excess cardio. Focus on the fundamental shapes I'd: hollow, arch, handstands. From there it's all about core strength and lots of it!

Search for Gymnastics Warrior on Facebook. It's a page put on by the tumbling coach at my old gym. It's daily-ish conditioning workouts, usually the same stuff he's making the kids do that day.

GymnasticsWarrior looks ok, better for WAG than MAG.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/forum/21-workout-of-the-day-archive/

These are more oriented towards Men's Gymnastics Strength and Conditioning. Problem is without the book, you have to figure out what Coach Sommer calls certain exercises. Still, you can figure out a lot of the exercises you need to be doing by reading through these WOD's.

Gymnastics Workout of the Day

Some of these are pretty good. Thing is that it's random and there are a lot of WOD's in it that are not gymnastic specific since Roger added a lot of CrossFit WOD's into them.

Gymnastics Workout of the Day | Gymnastics WOD These are generally done as assistance program to following CrossFit. Thing is that Carl does go over a lot of the core Gymnastic strength elements that a gymnast will use, especially Men's Gymnastics, because CrossFit gymnastics bias tends to be more concerned with those relating to Parallel Bar, High Bar, and Rings strength.

So to cover:

Pushing: Handstand holds/shrugs and walking. Pushups, Ring pushups, Dips, Handstand Pushups against a wall and with mini PB. Ring dips too. Handstand straight arm presses against the wall and on PB and Rings. Planche drills.

Pulling: Pullups on bar in both under and overgrip and on rings. Ropeclimbs without legs. Straight arm pulling such as skin the cats and front and back lever work which lead into Iron Cross Work. Floor maltese ring flies.

Push/Pull: Long hang pullovers, Muscle-ups, Backward Roll to support on rings. Iron Cross.

Core: Hollow hold and rocks. Superman hold and rocks. Hollow to superman rolls. V-ups. Hanging Leglifts, Body levers, Skin the cats, Headstand/Handstand Leg lifts. Inverted situps (situps).

Lower body: Tumbling, sprinting, plyo jumps, broad jumps across the floor possibly connected, single leg jumps sideways and for speed and distance, Lunges, Single Leg squats on floor and off a block. Hamstring curls with a frisbee or furniture slider. Floor glute ham raises.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back