Potential Changes CPP to JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Not sure very many of you here are in the CPP program anyways (I believe most do CPN or NN), but just wanted to say that I received an email with a survey about what I think about switching from CPP to JO. It is being discussed in many provinces and they are hoping to have a nation wide program, however they will just implement it in some provinces if whole country doesn't agree to follow the same program. Any of you who are involved in CPP be aware that the changes are looking to happen as early as the 2014/15 season. BC has already voted and will be switching to JO for the next season.

If you have any comments, pros or cons of switching let me know and I will try my best to pass them on.

Very interesting. I think it is a great idea as it will open up a world of opportunity for our gymnasts and coaches.

I will be interested to see what Quebec makes of this. Will try to do some digging.

Ontario already has a separate program than the rest of the country. I think it's called GOJO (Gymnastics Ontario Junior Olympics). It's quite close, but a slightly modified version of the US JO system..... at least a lot closer to it than the CPP program.

Our L8s had not changes to their routines when they went. One of the main differences is that compulsory levels..... they have compulsory routines there whereas we don't here. So when we went to the US to compete all of our girls L5 and under competed in the Xcel category.

I would also like to have future information for Quebec province. I currently coach CR3 girls (which I think is unique in our province, Bog correct me if I'm wrong!), this category is not part of the CPP but my gymnasts certainly have the skill level to compete un the lower us levels (about level 3). So the change would concern us. Interesting as I have a meeting for next summer/fall training on monday. I'll let you know if I hear any information.

I would also like to have future information for Quebec province. I currently coach CR3 girls (which I think is unique in our province, Bog correct me if I'm wrong!), this category is not part of the CPP but my gymnasts certainly have the skill level to compete un the lower us levels (about level 3). So the change would concern us. Interesting as I have a meeting for next summer/fall training on monday. I'll let you know if I hear any information.

Catou. CR3 is kind of in the CPP. It is basically a modified version of P1. Though Quebec slightly modifies all levels of the CPP.

Yes, only Quebec has circuit regional, though other provinces do have other programs that fill a similar need.

I imagine if Quebec adopted the JO system we would still keep CR, in the same way the USA has other systems for lower level, rec competitive or lower training hour girls.

The only issue I really see is making the compulsory level girls go to compulsory routines after having had optional type ones.

What I am confused about by the email is whether we will switch to the GOJO program as it is in Ontario or switch fully to the USA JO program.
Does anyone know what Ontario has done with the beginmer levels (1-3)?
And do compete L4 in JO you have to be 7, I believe which is only a year older age 8 we require here. So I could see at least that happening.

Thanks Bog for the precisions. I'm not really aware of what is done in the other provinces.

The only issue I really see is making the compulsory level girls go to compulsory routines after having had optional type ones.

Yeah, I can see how it could be an issue.

But wow, season 2014-2015 is coming fast for such a big change!

Yeah, I would be very surprised if that happened as fast in Quebec, if at all.

All the JO info is freely available in English, but it would take some serious work, and money to have it translated into French with enough time for coaches to plan their training. Judging material and technique would also have to be changed for compulsory routines as each movement counts, not just the skills.

I just do not see it happening that fast in Quebec.

In the US, there are girls who go from Xcel or IGC to JO compulsories and mostly they do fine with it. ... A little monotonous for the parents, but it is ok for the girls.

It is an adjustment, but then it is all good again once they get back to Optionals in L6/7 :)

DO remember though that we have never even seen, or heard, of system like that here in Quebec. I know about it because of the CB, but just imagine being in a gym universe where every kid has their own routine, their own music etc etc no matter what level. How would kids in that gym universe feel about having to do the same routine, to the same music as every kid their level. Stifled I imagine.

Kids in the US going from excel type programs to USAG JO know exactly what they are getting into before they commit.

DO remember though that we have never even seen, or heard, of system like that here in Quebec. I know about it because of the CB, but just imagine being in a gym universe where every kid has their own routine, their own music etc etc no matter what level. How would kids in that gym universe feel about having to do the same routine, to the same music as every kid their level. Stifled I imagine.

Kids in the US going from excel type programs to USAG JO know exactly what they are getting into before they commit.
It is MORE rare, BUT Actually, some don't. We have had kids come from our rec program that were doing rec on Wed / Fri (days team doesn't practice) and they and their parents were SHOCKED that they would be doing the same routines as all the other girls. These are girls who had already decided what music they wanted to use and what their ending poses would be... it was a little funny, but you couldn't laugh. One of these girls was 11 when she got on team. Surely, she should have known. But when she found out, she didn't tell her mom (and mom was a drop off/ pick up type, so she never watched practice and missed the pre-first meet parent meeting and didn't ask anyone what was discussed). At the first meet, we started on beam. She looked past floor to see the beam. When the 2nd girl on floor started and the music was the same, she made a comment about her daughter's music... and how she was glad it wasn't that boring... Then she realized that ALL the girls were doing pretty similar routines... Then her daughter started for our team - same music, same routine. She was dumbfounded. THEN she finally asked me what was going on. I explained... and explained again... and then she "GOT" it. Her daughter would have to get to L6 to have her own music. Her daughter will be a L4 next season (and if uptraining goes well this summer, may compete 1/2 the season as a L5).

I do not believe they did in Ontario.
The age to compete "provincially" starts at 9 years old, and Level 5. Levels below 5 are invitational only, as are kids below age 9 who compete at levels 5 and up.

What I am confused about by the email is whether we will switch to the GOJO program as it is in Ontario or switch fully to the USA JO program.
Does anyone know what Ontario has done with the beginmer levels (1-3)?
And do compete L4 in JO you have to be 7, I believe which is only a year older age 8 we require here. So I could see at least that happening.

If you go to the Gymnastics Ontario website, the rules are there for all levels. We have kids who compete L1-3, but as mentioned above, only invitationally. Min. Age to compete invitationally is 7.

Would you say most gyms compete levels 1-3 or are they mostly not used and a developmental program is used until they are ready for level 4?

Our gym has both. Developmental starts around age 5 and goes to age 8. Once they hit age 7 they do their first invitationals, and compete at whatever the appropriate level is. I would say that age 7 competes somewhere between L3-5 in my experience (3 being the norm, 5 being the high end of what happens). At age 8, they go to a couple of meets and again compete at their individual level (usually L4-7). The goal seems to be to get girls in the developmental program to be ready for L5 or above (so into the provincial program) for Age 9.

Concurrently there is the invitational stream, that has girls from Age 7 through to late teens in the L1-4 category. Slightly less demanding in terms of hours. Girls here can move into the developmental stream (or vice versa), but I expect that the young ones in this group (7 and 8 year olds) may be slightly behind the developmental girls so it gives them an opportunity to train and learn, and of appropriate make a switch. There was a 16 year old who switched over this year to compete provincially, and others try the provincial stream and switch for the less demanding hours. They typically go to 3-4 meets a year.

Other gyms around aren't exactly the same, but the philosophy seems to be consistent.

Would you say most gyms compete levels 1-3 or are they mostly not used and a developmental program is used until they are ready for level 4?

I would say in Quebec many gyms compete levels similar to 1-3. The CR system has CR3, which is basically P1, it also has two more advanced levels of CR3 that fit between P1 and P3 depending. But beneath that they have CR1 and CR2 that are much more basic levels, and are competed at the regional level. But they are much more developmental in style. As in building on parts of skills and shapes etc. CR also included T&T, so gymmies compete 6 apparatus, not 4. Kids in this program may not train more than 9 hours a week for the traditional WAG and an extra two hours a week for the T&T portion. THis program is seen as a step into the CPP program or a step out of it for older girls.

I am trying to imagine JO here, I could see it being a big challenge in smaller clubs, and in Canada we have lots of those. The coach training needed would be huge. Fortunately there would be no equipment changes needed.

For gymnasts younger than 8, we also have the defi program. This girls get strong basics and are evaluated. When they get a score of 80%, they go to the next level. There are 6. Once you reach defi 6, girls can do backhandpsrings on beam.

We have a program that sounds similar to the defi program itconsists of a physical ability section and a skills section, that require 70% to pass, but there are only 4 levels, and it is ages 6-10.

And around here they changed the competition age from sanctioned meets to 8 this year, so bumping to 7 wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I see the biggest problem being with smaller clubs that are in small towns. Most of them can't keep up with the small changes every year with CPP, I don't know how they would handle the switch.
And if the JO program is introduced I can see them creating a seperate program at some point to make it more fun for the older girls (that are P1) so they don't have to do compulsary routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back