WAG Pre-Wrap and Tape Questions -- HELP!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After practice today, the head coach noticed DD's hands were pretty much ripped to pieces from bars. She has several calluses/rips on each hand as well as one on her wrist. Asst. coach told me the rip on her wrist was from swinging bars with a lot of power (DD has TONS of natural strength and has now figured out the bars body position so her bars are pretty explosive). Head coach told me I need to get her some pre-wrap and start taping her wrists and hands before bars practice to protect her hands from being completely shredded. I have never heard of this stuff before...what is it, what is it's purpose, and how do (does) I (she) use it? Any help, especially from coaches, would be much appreciative.

it protects whatever your wrapping. like some people use it for ankles if they have had an ankle injury. you can by it on a bunch of online gymnastic sites. or if your gym has a pro-shop. you can also get it at sport shops.

If you have a Claire's or a Five Below in your area, they sell them the cheapest and have lots of colors. I buy them for about $3/roll. I believe I have seen them at salon supply places like Sally's too - I think it was originally used for hair.

If not, you can get it at amazon - like everything else.
http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Pack-...=UTF8&qid=1388791891&sr=8-1&keywords=pre-wrap

edit: after looking at amazon, I would say they probably have the best bulk price I have seen but I don't buy the stuff in bulk. A little goes a long way.

At my gym we've found that pieces of inner tubes work really well to cover rips, on the wrists especially. The inner tubes I'm talking about are the kind on the inside of bicycle tires, the actual part that inflates. Just cut off a piece with scissors of desired size and secure with athletic tape. I wouldn't go out and buy a new inner tube just for this though, they can be expensive. One piece can be used nearly an infinite number of times, so I would advise finding an old inner tube with a hole so it can't be used for bicycling anymore if someone has one, or possibly buying one as a gym and sharing inner tube pieces. Inner tubes can also be used for vault drills, so suggesting buying a couple for the gym to the HC isn't a bad idea.

I buy athletic tape in bulk off amazon. I've purchased 50 rolls for $50 before; although, I'm sure smaller numbers of rolls are possible for rather low prices as it is amazon. Single rolls are usually sold at most sporting goods stores and at some grocery stores like Wallgreens.

For taping the wrist its helpful to use a figure-8 pattern and go around the thumb so that it does not slip down. Slipping happens frequently unfortunately. Using tape grips on the palm is helpful for the same reason.

I hope this helps.

We just use athletic tape. Is that the same thing? I buy it at Walgreens. I have no idea how to do the taping, though. When she needs it, my DD uses one coach who does a great job with the taping. They basically look like grips when he is done with it.

I didn't watch the video but this looks like a decent enough tutorial on how to make tape grips.

As for the wrist rips, I would rip a foam block and tape a big piece of foam to my wrist and then put my wristbands on top. The foam was a lifesaver!

All pre wrap really is is a cushion for the tape so that it doesn't rip your skin off, and its soft so it cushions whatever you need it for. It's great for rips, ankles, wrists, etc. I use it on my rips all the time, though they have been getting bigger and worse so I stopped. I think it works well but you really have to know how to wrap a rip for it to work and not fall off. There's some other great stuff for rips though but pre wrap and tape is fine if they aren't to big.

Is it normal for parents to be expected to wrap/brace gymnasts????? Our coach does all of our wrapping. She will even undo the wrapping that a gymnast walks in with and do it over. If I was told to wrap my DD before practice, I shudder to think how bad of a job I would do. I'm picture a mummy from the Scooby Doo cartoons.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back