Parents Private Lessons

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

windydays

Proud Parent
How do private lessons work in your gym? It is getting more and more difficult in my gym to get "an every once in a while" private because so many parents are "creating" their own classes through private lessons. So I must ask...

1. Can you have as many as you want?
2. Can you "book" a private every Tuesday at 1:00 for months?
3. Can you book a private with a coach who isn't your child's coach?
4. Why do you get a private - uptrain, fix or tweak a skill, use it as extra class time?

4. Why do you get a private - uptrain, fix or tweak a skill, use it as extra class time?

1) Yes and No the coaches and gym have limited availability, but if it's available you an request it.
2) Yes, standing privates are OK. And some people do them with others, so a mini class of sorts
3) Yes
4) For ds - he's on team he had things that needed one-on-one attention. Dd needed to catch up a few skills to be ready for fall.

How do private lessons work in your gym? It is getting more and more difficult in my gym to get "an every once in a while" private because so many parents are "creating" their own classes through private lessons. So I must ask...

1. Yes, but who can afford it :)
2. Yes, but who can afford it :)
3. Yes, but the coaches get "competitive" with each other
4. Up train and get over mental blocks/fears

1. Can you have as many as you want? Yes
2. Can you "book" a private every Tuesday at 1:00 for months? Yes
3. Can you book a private with a coach who isn't your child's coach? Yes (ie, DD specifically had private lessons with a certain coach because he is better with ROBHS, but he was one of the team coaches)
4. Why do you get a private - uptrain, fix or tweak a skill, use it as extra class time? Sure, why not. For us it was more to catch up than uptrain.

No privates for team kids. Some team coaches are available for extra practice time if needed. No charge. Junior team on down can have privates.

Another question: For those of you who have children on team and want or need to get a private in and can't, do you pull your kids out of school to get one?

1. At our gym, you can have as many as you want provided that a coach is available.
2. You could book a standing private with a willing coach, but it would have to be between the hours of 4 and 5:30 pm and could only be on a M, T, W, or R... and it would be cancelled if there was a MS or HS home meet conflict.
3. You could book a private with one of 3 coaches... but they are all in their late teens or early 20s.
4. Privates are only used for fixing skills or making up practice time you have to miss.

I do know that one gym nearby allows standing privates with the coach of your choice (if the schedule can be arranged) and the private can be used for anything you choose. One girl had a standing private with the "dance" instructor and worked on her L6 routines and how to change them for L7... she competed 2 meets at L6 before moving to L7. Once she was a L7, she continued the privates and uptrained for L8, which she should be competing this year as a 10 year old. (she is pretty good too... if all of her "worst" scores from L7 were in one meet, she still would have had a 35.225. Her "bests" would give her a 37.875... not the 38s she was used to in old L4 and L5, but still great!)

1) yes, as long as you can find available coach with available time.
2) yes, apparently you can book a standing private on the same day/same time for months. This was very frustrating to me last meet season because there were 2 specific coaches my DD responds really well to but they were never available when she could come.
3) you can book a private with any coach that's available
4) one reason was my DD requested a private one and again if there was something she felt she needed one on one help with. Also, we had a pretty big team and the facility wasn't able to accommodate the girls getting much work on each event, so privates helped with that and typically it would be right before a meet. Also, a rule at this gym is if you're on team and you miss practice, you have to make it up with a private.

And to your added question, I have actually taken her out of school early a time or two for a private, but typically like the last 30 minutes of school.

1. Yes, I guess
2. Yes
3. The only coaches we have at gym are team coaches. HC would not want a coach at another gym giving a private.
4. If we were going to, it would be to fix or tweak a skill. DD is putting in so many hours at gym now any tweaking/fixing is done during her regular gym time.

Does her coach recommend your dd having a private lesson? Ours generally don't do privates for team, not because they won't but because they work on fixing/tweaking/uptraining during class time.

1. Yes, as long as there is availability.
2. YOu can but coaches generally won't do it. They will do a few in a row. Theory is that your chi;d should be learning in class and if they need that many privates then something is wrong that they need to look at.
3. Yes, but frowned upon.
4. Usually, for D, it has been for a few specific skills that needed work. Right now, BC is paying for routine construction privates for the boys.

I don't like to pull out of school as I think that sends the wrong message, that gym is more important than school. There has be 1-2 time before a big meet, when his class was having a movie/or some kind of planned down time, that I would pull him out. His school went from 7:45-3:45 so that didn't leave much time for anything. Now he has a more normal schedule...it should help.

1. I suppose, I don't know who would be able to do them if you wanted several a week as all the coaches have pretty full class schedules and wouldn't want to do that many.
2.Yeah I used to do one with a family (Mom and 2 kids) once or twice a week for months and months.
3. Sometimes but if someone wants a private the head coach of that person is offered it first and if they decline another coach can pick it up. Sometimes the owner will honor requests for the persons favorite coach to do it.
4. I've seen privates for all of those things and more. For a while there we had an onslaught of toddlers like 3-5 taking them, only God knows why! Those kids are not on team and they cost a lot. Probably CGM that think their kid needs a super early start to be the next Olympic star. Ridiculous to me. But hey if you got the money to blow I'll happily take it :)

Does her coach recommend your dd having a private lesson? Ours generally don't do privates for team, not because they won't but because they work on fixing/tweaking/uptraining during class time.

There is a coach that is recommending a few privates because my DD is doing something wrong and the coach wants to rework it from the ground up.

1. Yes, as long as coaches and gym space allow.

2. Yes, we have several girls who have standing privates every week.

3. Yes, we are a small gym so most of the girls have worked with all coaches. For privates, you work with the coach you are most comfortable with.

4. I can only speak for my child's use but we use them first to help her learn routines as she had sequencing difficulties. After that, lots of form work. And then, training up skills.

Privates not offered at our gym at all. Glad though because it takes the option away and I could totally get caught up in that!

My daughter has had 1 private lesson in 9 years, and that was to get her uphill after working on it for 2 weeks. Used a different coach than her team coach and got it in 30 minutes and never looked back. Sometimes it takes a new set of eyes and techniques.
Our owner lets the girls take private lessons, but she truly believes they should only be used for a trouble skill or someone who joins the team late and is behind or is scoring out to move up and needs to get the routines quickly. She says if you're working during practice time to full potential, you shouldn't need private lessons.
But pretty much yes to all your questions.

2. Can you "book" a private every Tuesday at 1:00 for months? yes, and parrnts do.
3. Can you book a private with a coach who isn't your child's coach? yes
4. Why do you get a private - uptrain, fix or tweak a skill, use it as extra class time? we do if our kids are struggling with a skill. uptraining a little. my almost 6 year old is struggling on her bar routine. the owner is the bar coach and way under charges because he is super.nice and wants to genuinely help the kids. he often never charges for privates.

1. I have no idea
2. I think so as I have seen the same people at the same time
3. N/A see below
4. We don't, the ONLY privates I have seen in our gym are 3 - A little girl who is deaf and 3 and uses it as part of her occupational therapy, a very tall girl who is 13/14 I think and has a 1 to 1 to learn her flick, but I have never seen her in class, a boy who has developmental needs and can't work in a class setting.

No one else has ever had one. I suppose you could and when we moved and P&F had a fear of catching the high bar I suggested it. The coaches said not to bother as she would get it in her own time.

1. Can you have as many as you want? Yes
2. Can you "book" a private every Tuesday at 1:00 for months? Yes
3. Can you book a private with a coach who isn't your child's coach? Yes, any coach who is available
4. Why do you get a private - uptrain, fix or tweak a skill, use it as extra class time? We have only used it to "get" a skill, and tweak before a competition. Next spring, I will use a couple to uptrain, so that when summer training comes, DD isn't behind the group of girls who uptrain (in privates and at home).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back