Parents Progression in Xcel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Skye Fernandez

Proud Parent
My DD is begging me to talk to her coach about moving her to Silver. She is doing very well. And they have had her workout with the silver girls a couple of times. To me, it seems like she only needs work on keeping it pretty. (If that makes since lol) but I honestly don't know alot about the sport. She started in January and she hasnt even had her first meet yet. Ive explained to her that she hasn't even been in a year yet. And the coach definitely seems to see her potential. Ive told DD that her coach knows alot more about gymnastics than I do and im sure she'll move her when she thinks she's ready. I dont want to be the parent thats constantly harassing the coach. I feel like she hasn't been doing it long enough for me to already be asking about when DD will be moving up. Maybe i could just ask the HC what to expect as far as progression goes? Or does anyone here know what to expect as far as progression goes?

We don't know what your daughter has or doesn't have as far as skills go. I assume she will be bronze? And how old is she?

It wouldn't hurt to find out how she is doing. And for you and your daughter to find out what is expected at each level.

At many gyms kids of multiple levels work out together at some if not all of practice, it doesn't mean they are all capable of the same things.

There are also new requirements as to where and how you level in Xcel. Our gym no longer does Xcel so maybe that is limiting her as well but folks who know the new rules can better speak to that.

We don't know what your daughter has or doesn't have as far as skills go. I assume she will be bronze? And how old is she?

It wouldn't hurt to find out how she is doing. And for you and your daughter to find out what is expected at each level.

At many gyms kids of multiple levels work out together at some if not all of practice, it doesn't mean they are all capable of the same things.

There are also new requirements as to where and how you level in Xcel. Our gym no longer does Xcel so maybe that is limiting her as well but folks who know the new rules can better speak to that.
From an earlier thread, the OP indicated her daughter was six.

She is 6 and does bronze. The coach is always telling me how well she does. So I have an idea of where my daughter stands. Im guessing every gym does the Xcel program differently? Lol. Ive thought about just asking the coach what progression typically looks like at that gym. I dont want to make a big ordeal over it because like I've said she hasnt even had her first meet yet. And plus in a previous thread I learned that I'll most likely have to eventually switch her gym anyways. Im letting her do a year in Xcel and see how she feels about gym. At the moment shes all about making the national team when she's older. But I understand shes 6 and her commitment level can be totally different come next year. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to approach the subject of progression with her HC or if i should evend approach it at all right now.

I think the big gateway skill that our gym wants to be a Silver is a round off back handspring on floor - perhaps a cartwheel on beam too, but not sure it's as important as the handspring. I'm not sure about bars or vault, but I don't think those events tend to be big hold ups for Silver (at least not in our gym).

However, with your daughter only being 6, if she met the qualifications for XCel silver at our gym, we'd probably have her in L3 instead cause of her age. Most of our XCels are older than 6 - but we have both JO and XCel.

Does your gym have JO and XCel, or just XCel?

[QUOTE="Gymmommy71, post: 478426, me gym).

However, with your daughter only being 6, if she met the qualifications for XCel silver at our gym, we'd probably have her in L3 instead cause of her age. Most of our XCels are older than 6 - but we have both JO and XCel.

Does your gym have JO and XCel, or just XCel?[/QUOTE]
This. All our girls that young are placed in L3 unless the parents specify want them in xcel (due to the bigger $ and time commitment that comes with JO)

OP I think if you generally ask about the progression of the program as a whole it will just show that you are invested and interested.

I think the big gateway skill that our gym wants to be a Silver is a round off back handspring on floor - perhaps a cartwheel on beam too, but not sure it's as important as the handspring. I'm not sure about bars or vault, but I don't think those events tend to be big hold ups for Silver (at least not in our gym).

Our gym only does xcel. Our gym has 2 levels of silver as well. So that's what confuses me. For our lower silver they are not required to do a round off back handspring. Or even a back hand spring for that matter. Maybe i could just ask what is required of her to move to the lower level of silver? Idk part of me is just thinking to leave it alone and let this season play out.

She is 6, and haven't even competed yet. There is no rush. Let her compete a couple of meets and see how she does. If she wins with some huge scores, then you will know that this level is too easy for her, and then it will make sense to ask the coaches about move-up requirements. But somehow I think being 6 and being new to gymnastics, she should be just fine in Bronze.

[QUOTE="Gymmommy71, post: 478426, me gym).

This. All our girls that young are placed in L3 unless the parents specify want them in xcel (due to the bigger $ and time commitment that comes with JO)

OP I think if you generally ask about the progression of the program as a whole it will just show that you are invested and interested.[/QUOTE]

"I was just curious what all is required of DD to move over to silver? And what does level progression typically look like here?"

Does that sound ok?

There are requirements for each division in Xcel. She hasn't competed yet so the coach probably has her at a level that she has all the requirements met in preparation for meet season. However, a child may have more skills above her current level but not enough to satisfy the next level requirements. The coach knows all the skills that are required for each level so trust they will have her in the appropriate level for competitions and will move her up when she should be.

There is a wide range of skills in Xcel.

As she has no competition experience I would start in Bronze.

There is a broad range of skills in Xcel but in any division of gymnastics clean and good form will beat sloppy bad form.

If it were my kid, she would stay where the coach puts her. And my kid is usually on the cusp of 2 levels every year. And only once have we (husband and I) pushed it. Glad we did for various reasons, mostly the challenge and personal teachable moments. It was not however her least successful season meet wise, but that wasnt our objective

Ok yea. I think ill just leave it alone for the time being. DD will just have to suck it up :p Thats kind of what I was thinking. I just wanted to see what other parents thought. :)

I would wait until her first meet. I know that Short Stack was pretty much "just another gymnast" until her first meet in her first competitive season (she was L2). Within a month of her first meet she was invited to practice with the level 3 team one day a week. When her first season was over, she moved to L3 for 2 months, then she was invited to the Level 4 team, skipping her L3 season.

I tell this story, not to brag, but to illustrate that often, coaches become aware of the abilites of their gymnasts as time passes. And when they see a gymmie is ready to move (according to that gym's standards) they will tell you your daughter is ready to move--you won't have to ask. At least that is my experience.

Truthfully if your dd just started gymnastics in January, to already be on the team is a pretty big honor. I think you will be doing the right thing by just letting it be for now. They learn a lot in the first year of competing, it's about so much more than skills, they have to learn proper form and presentation, get used to performing in front of crowds and being judged at meets. With any luck, she will get to also train new skills in the gym off and on during this time. Some girls really struggle with nerves in their first competition season, and don't always do as well at meets as they are capable of until they learn to get the nerves under control. With it being your dd's first season and her first meet coming up pretty soon, I would think switching to silver at this point might be a little overwhelming for her. However, if she really just blows it out of the water at her first few meets, her coaches may consider a mid season move up, but I would probably let them handle those decisions for now. Best of luck to your dd, I hope she has a great time competing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back