Proposed compulsory elements 2013-2020

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it's for the better- but IMO I wish they would name the new level something else and keep all the levels the same as they are now- ex. Level 7A and 7 B, or 7 Jr, and 7 Sr.

My only reasoning is it is going to cause mass confusion for the first year or so and crazy gym moms (and gymnasts) will feel like their child is being "demoted" if they repeat a level the year of the change and their level is renamed to a lower level. For example- Sally was a 1st year level 5 last year who struggled with a few sills and perfecting routines- so she is repeating Level 5 this year- but now it's called Level 4 which is a level she already competed. It may cause many gymnasts to feel frustrated and many gym parents to feel angry. I realize the change in that example is in name only- Level 4 will now be old level 5- but it will cause much confusion I think.

Regarding the skill changes I like the kip cast on the low bar in new level 4, but getting rid of the front hip circle at that level makes the previous level even more disconnected. Now instead of just hearing that mill circle isn't progressive we will also have front hip... Hmm.

Trying to picture jump to hs on 16in ... Seems awkward

Split hs w no angle requirement in new level 3, what is that? Like if the front foot leaves the beam a few inches and the legs are split??

Guess I don't understand removing the bhs step out from new level 5? It doesn't follow the typical compulsory progression if doing it in the floor routine at one level and on the beam at another level. Obviously it will still be taught that way just not sure why it was taken out of the routine.

I hate that they changed the L6 beam dismount but I like the jump & leap changes.

The thing I don't like about the L3 bars is that though it says they score the same for a kip vs. glide pull-over, my bet is the majority of high scoring routines and state champions will have that kip. The judges will automatically have in their mind the child is better if they see that kip. I equate that to the current L4 handstand on beam. They shouldn't have to get that to vertical to get a big score because it's a 10 routine either way... but where we live you're not getting a 9 unless you hit vertical.

So if I am reading this correctly, what is currently level 4 skills will be considered level 3? And the same for level 5 (will be new level 4 skills)? So level 6 will no longer be compulsory? It'll be interesting to see what our gym does. The girls start competing at level 4 currently.

From what I've heard L6 will turn into some sort of optional level but I haven't heard what yet. One of the problems with L6 as it stands is that is just one of those make or break it levels. A lot of girls can do well in L5 but never really excel in L6 which effectively ends their career.

Gets girls competing sooner, drum up numbers, etc, make more money for USAG.

I don't mind losing the FHC in L5(4). I thought they took it out of L4 which kinda irked but now I'm cool with it.

What I heard at our gym today was that these are just proposals and that nothing has been determined yet.

I'm not a fan of 7yr olds doing a handspring vault over the table at all. Really surprised that's being considered honestly. I look at the little ones in Texas and just cringe at the thought of them having to block hard enough to make it over the entire length of the table, which is considerable when taking their size into account. Seems frankly dangerous, they need time to focus on contacting the board, flight and post flight stages without the worry of the table or a stuck landing. Also, they'd most likely have to start training it age 6 at highly competitive gyms that have pre teams prepping for L4. I look at my girls giving it all they've got to make a dent in the springs of a regulation springboard and shudder at the thought of prepping them for a full handspring vault. I think it's too much too soon. I could get behind a higher matstack possibly, but not over the table at that age.

Linsul, unless I'm mistaken, under the new program, L4 will be equivalent to today's L5 hence the min age and skill requirements will not change.

I'm not a fan of 7yr olds doing a handspring vault over the table at all. Really surprised that's being considered honestly. I look at the little ones in Texas and just cringe at the thought of them having to block hard enough to make it over the entire length of the table, which is considerable when taking their size into account. Seems frankly dangerous, they need time to focus on contacting the board, flight and post flight stages without the worry of the table or a stuck landing. Also, they'd most likely have to start training it age 6 at highly competitive gyms that have pre teams prepping for L4. I look at my girls giving it all they've got to make a dent in the springs of a regulation springboard and shudder at the thought of prepping them for a full handspring vault. I think it's too much too soon. I could get behind a higher matstack possibly, but not over the table at that age.

It's basically the same as the current level 5...all the levels are moving down one, in a sense. So current level 5 = 7 to compete, handspring vault over table. New level 4 - 7 to compete, handspring vault over the table.

Personally I'm not sure WHY they didn't change that, since the entire vaulting progression is off to me (too easy at some levels, too hard at others). But it's not really a change in that sense.

You guys are right, my brain is so scrambled. Been living on coffee and drinkable yogurt for 3 days between work and family related stuff. I'm going to travelocity right now, I need a vacation STAT!

Interesting. I would have loved to not have to do the current L6 dismount when I was in that level. And they're bringing back the swing turn on beam... ugh. Those give me the willies. The FHC in L4/5 bars was kinda fluff anyways. I like that they can kip in L3/4 again. Anyone know what a single leg basket swing is??

For a single leg basket swing one leg is over the bar and one under. You just fall backward and then swing back up.

hmmm so if they are a L5 now do they now become a L4?? or if they are a L7 now do they become a L6? if they are not moving to he next level for the upcoming season?? That will be interesting to see play out. Nothing like making the kids feel like they are going backwards.

Interesting. I would have loved to not have to do the current L6 dismount when I was in that level. And they're bringing back the swing turn on beam... ugh. Those give me the willies. The FHC in L4/5 bars was kinda fluff anyways. I like that they can kip in L3/4 again. Anyone know what a single leg basket swing is??

I never heard of a swing turn. What is that? Or a basket swing--I don't think I've seen that or heard of it.

I have to agree with you here. My 6 year old is in Level 5 and I just don't think she will be able to vault. It's just too hard for her at this point. I see little ones vault on online videos, but I'm telling you, mine won't be able to do it. She's only around 35lbs and 40 inches tall. It is not happenning and she really tries hard. Even though she won't be able to compete Level 5 until January when she turns 7, I don't think it will happen by then either. She's fine with the other 3 events, but I worry about vault. I'd like her to just wait a few years.

I think it would be a nice change from these routines we have now, but i'm not sure about the little ones vaulting. We're having problems now with a level 5 vaulting because he is to little!! So if the other 7 yr olds have to vault we're going to have a terrible time getting them over by themselves. also, does anyone know if this is actually going to happen or not?!! If so, then i have lots of learning to do....^^

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back