protein shakes? What do you think?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymgirly1

So I was talking to some of the girls at our gym the other day And the coach was telling us that we are doing strength training next week so we wimped an awwwed and tht was tht .But then another girl said every body get more protein they off the Cheetos ...And we laughed but then she started talking about how she drank protein shakes and apparently so do a lot of girls at our gym ... SO main question what do you think would you rather drink protein shakes or not ?And if so Do they work or help build muscle ?

I'd avoid them like the plague, they don't seem natural to me. I think they can also be quite unhealthy, my old coach was very very clear that no one in his team was to even think about taking them.

A lot of "off the shelf" protein shakes have a lot off added sugar, flavouring etc.

Making you own however can be great. Try this smoothie - natural yougourt, a handful of frozen fruit or a banana, add milk and blend. a tablespoon of wheatgerm or a chunk of tofu can add even more protein without any weird taste or strange chemical additives that the protein powders give.

This makes a great breakfast on the go.

I think protein is very important. Protein and Amino Acids are the basic fuel for building muscle. Your body simply cannot build muscle without it. If you do not get it from your foods, then your body will try and take it from fat stores - which as we know - a gymnast does not have much of this!

I think the .5 gram per body weight is for the average person. For someone that is trying to build muscle (which a gymnast is) then the more common recommendation is .6 - 1g per pound. This is pretty difficult to get in a daily average diet alone. Consider this - a breakfast of whole grain cereal, a lunch of a chicken sandwich and a salad, and a dinner of say spaghetti with a snack of a granola bar and an apple. Sounds like a decent day of nutrition right? In terms of vitamins, calories, and carbs - sure. But protein - that is about 40 grams only total! Take your 80lb gymnast - at the .5 gram per lb recommendation that is right on - but for 1 gram per lb, you are only 1/2 way there!

I would think that a for a team gymnast that is normally in school for one meal and in the gym during the evening hours - this can be even harder... so I think a protein shake would be a good option.

I work out in a fitness gym - and so I am conscience of muscle building and my daily nutrition. I have a goal of 150-160 grams of protein a day and seldom make it. I drink a protein shake a day that gives me 20 - 40 grams of protein (one or two scoops). It is just a mix that I mix with milk. It is food and full of whey protein. Bog - I checked and this one has little added sugar- only 4 grams. It is Whey protein powder from GNC.

I know the following links are from "Mens Health" - but I think it still contains good info that would convert to our gymnasts:
Protein Powder: What to look for in a protein powder from Men's Health

Another article about proteins:
Guide to Protein: Men's Health.com

Basically you want a Whey protein and like Bog said - you want one with little added sugars.

I generally try to snack on high protein foods like almonds, sun flower seeds, cheese, certain nut based granola bars, etc.

As for gyms banning protein powders - I find this highly unlikely. Maybe things like Creatin - but not protein powders. It is not performance enhancing and it is not unnatural or damaging if you eat too much.

I do give my children low sugar protein bars when they ... well I offer them when we are running here and there, and as the novelty has worn off they will eat them sometimes and not other times. But mine have a hard time with blood sugar so it is hard otherwise to have a handy snack that will stick with them for a while. I think there are kids who do well on a lot of protein and those for whom it is not so important.

well it deoends which ones you get. the oness from the stores are often full of surgar. but if you buy the powder protein and put it in a smothie it works.. hope this works

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back