Coaches Pushaway Kips and Kipping Out of Clear Hips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but I don't know the answer to it and the only way I will learn is to ask. :)

When kids kip out of clear hips, I notice that as they come around the bar their toes come up to the bar in a deep pike before stretching out the glide and then toes come back to the bar for the kip part. I don't remember anything like that when I was a gymnast----I remember clear hipping out and then toes staying an inch or so off the floor for my glide. I could just be remembering wrong, but even so, how do you teach to bring toes to the bar before the glide? Any good drills?

I am not 100% sure if I understood that right, but IMO if you bring your toes to the bar before gliding out again, it is for kind of stopping the swing motion so you won't have such a hard time holding your legs and also takes away some speed :)

That makes sense. So is it technically sound to teach them to just clear hip and push all the way out into a glide before kipping?

I do not coach bars too often.

I spot them on several push away kips in a row first. After the cast I bring their feet about half a foot away from the bar, then extend, then toes back to the bar and kip again.
Same for free hips.

But again, I am not a very good bar coach!

Here is a video how I did it when I competed and how I teach it (kips start at 0.22sec but I think the whole one is good, love Meggin ;))

Was that your question?

usually the weak kids bring their toes all the way to the bar. Stronger kids can do a regular glide, which is bring the feet up a little and then glide out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back