Parents Question about a lost of a skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tarheel618

Proud Parent
So my dd age 8- has been doing Round off, back handsping, back tuck and has been doing it for several months. The last two weeks she has been coming home frustrated because she can't do it anymore. I know it is a mental block- she says nothing happen to scare her but her regular coach was out for a minor surgery during this time.

I don't know what to say to her about it but just hope it passes soon.

It's a mystery as to why this happens but let her know that a level 9 gymnast who had a terrific season- made it to nationals and after nationals says to my dd in the car"let's work on blind changes today I can't do it anymore" I was like :eek: lol. Happens to my dd all the time (shes a L9)and to try to figure out the "why" is like finding a needle in a hay stack lol. My husband teases her that she must have left the skill in the pocket of the other leo-yes she rolls her eyes at him lol.

What profmom said! DD has had several instances of blocks (training 7 now). I usually just remind her that it will come back at some point if she brings it up. Otherwise, I am very casual about it because I have seen other girls get panicked and take longer to work through the issue because their parents' overreactions to the situation.

Happens....over and over and over....maybe not with all kids, but has with all three of mine. Right now DS #2 "lost"his ROBHSBHSBT...his only thought is that he saw another kid "fail" on it and now he can't do it. still has all the individual skills on floor, but balking at the combo.

DS#1 got and lost his back giants this month....DD has been back and forth with multiple beam acro series of late - presently struggling with BT on beam.

I think its more common when they are growing, or weight shifting, and with age more fear hits (did with DD, not with DS...)

Coaches know to back off and go to "easier" drills with the skill - that's probably why they have her not trying on floor right now - it'll come back....have to be patient

I would say that 'having' then 'loosing' skills is very common. My daughters coaches usually tell them they have to do a skill a certain number of times then they 'have it' so there are lots of days with big smiles and 'I have X skill!!' then lots of days with sulks and 'I lost X skill.' When she is feeling frustrated I ask her what corrections her coaches are giving her (since I have no idea how to help!) She finds it helpful to think through the corrections at home and plan how she can work on fixing them next time.

Happens all the time, from what I see. My DD had her giant, lost it, then makes every time in one practice and makes none the next! Had a beautiful BWO-BWO, now has a mental hesitation before connecting the second, but has had no falls or scary moments on beam to blame it on.

Tricky business, this gymnastics stuff!

Mine has lost her double back handspring after having it for a year. I am chalking it up to stress from a move/gym change and her age..m she just turned 11 and is over thinking things these days. Not to mention growth spurt and body changes. Trying to be low key about it but it is hard! But she knows it is all in her head and only she can get past her own block.

Mine lost her BHS after a fall off of bars backwards but now it is better than ever. I always tell her to trust her coaches and listen to what they tell her they know best.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back