MAG Question about Future Stars - age requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

lauren7425

Proud Parent
Hello! My son turns 8 on September 2nd.....his coach is considering having him evaluated in the fall for the Future Stars? I tried to look at it to get more information, and it states the age groups begin at age 8-9 for regionals, etc. For our USAG meets last year, he was not allowed to compete at Level 5 or 6 because of the September 1st birthday cut off (so he competed as a 6 year-old). Does this September 1st rule apply for the Future Stars program too? I'm not even really sure what this is.....Thanks!!

Welcome to the board.

I am not sure how the ages work for future stars. I know you can "play up" so he might be able to do that, and eventually do 2 years at one age level. NOt a bad way to go.

Plus...what a GREAT birthday for gymnastics!!! My son would be jealous ;)

Yes, the Sept 1st date applies for Future Stars as well. The rule is strictly applied for JO competition. I can only assume that it is the same for FS. If he is 7 on Sept 1 - he is not eligible to compete in Future Stars as an 8yo this year. However, next year he'll kick some.... ;-)

I think we had some 7 year olds competing the 8 yo routines at our FS regionals one year. I think it would depend on your region since they only compete regionals. And, not sure if it changed since then or not, since this was a couple of years ago.

What happens at regional testing and what the "home office" knows about are quite often two different things :)

Exactly! LOL! I find that at the state/regional level, at least where we are, the testing is quite laid back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back