WAG Question about scoring level 7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
Is there a deduction for not hitting handstand on both the free hip and the giant? My dd hit her handstand on her low bar kip cast handstand into a free hip but just missed the handstand position on her high bar kip cast handstand into the giant. I thought they only had to hit handstand on one but dd said its a deduction if you don't hit it on both. Just curious. She had a decent meet, getting the coveted 36. Her goal is 37.5 to be competitive at level 7 but I was proud of her scores and her hard work. 37.5 seems so hard to get to in my opinion, but thats what the winners are getting in her age group. We shall see, still have a few meets left. The vault is killing her, always her lowest score. I really don't understand vault because I thought since they'd been doing the same vault for three levels, it must be easy to get a high score by level 7-shows what I know;)

They only have to hit handstand once to meet the cast height special requirement (technically only have to hit within 45 degrees of vertical), BUT every level 7 to 10 cast that is not within 10 degrees of handstand is a deduction(this deduction is called "insufficient amplitude":

11 to 20 degress from vertical 0.05 deduction
21 to 30 degrees 0.10
31 to 45 degrees 0.15 to 0.2
46 from vertical and below 0.25 to 0.3

Around these parts, 37.5 is a low score for top 3 on the podium in some age groups, so my dd feels your dd's frustration. I am not sure about the hs on bars. I don't think there is a deduction as long as they hit 3/4 but I could be wrong. In our state, with several gyms having girls hitting hs consistently, it is quite obvious the difference in the routines, and even if it's not a deduction, I think the judges try to separate the scores to cleary differentiate the routines. Same with the straddle vs straight cast (though most doing straddle have bent legs at least partial so there's an understandable deduction). Dd almost always hits her freehip hs but sometimes is too scared to try for her cast hs in fear of overcasting (she does the whole routine on the high bar). He coach wants her doing it so there is no question about angles.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

One of the special requirements is for one cast to be above 45 degrees. However, there is a deduction for every cast that does not hit handstand. It is up to .3 for a 45 degree cast, if she is closer to handstand (like 10 degrees off) it is a pretty small deduction- I think like .05. A 36 is a great score for just starting out in L7!

They only have to hit handstand once to meet the cast height special requirement (technically only have to hit within 45 degrees of vertical), BUT every level 7 to 10 cast that is not within 10 degrees of handstand is a deduction(this deduction is called "insufficient amplitude":

11 to 20 degress from vertical 0.05 deduction
21 to 30 degrees 0.10
31 to 45 degrees 0.15 to 0.2
46 from vertical and below 0.25 to 0.3

Thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back