WAG Question about tumbling for coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
My daughter has been trying to learn a side aerial for 6 months now. She is usually an excellent tumbler. She can do ROBHSBT and ROBHSBLO as well as a beautiful punch front, FHSO-FHS, and FHS-FT. She is starting to show some frustration but not to the point of giving up.

I'm not trying to coach her because she has long ago figured out that I know precious little about what she does. But I guess I'm just curious if this is at least somewhat typical or if she is a mutant (totally kidding about that). What is it that she is lacking? What I see through the window is a few running steps into a hurdle. Then she launches into it but has to put her hands down before her legs are parallel to the floor. Thoughts?

she should practice them off a vaulting board until she gets it. then move it to the floor. the mat must be level with the board.:)

First point: Aerials are HARD. She’s not a mutant, just a normal gymnast. ;) I totally agree with dunno on the springboard idea (hadn’t thought of that but that’s a great idea that I’ll have to use with my own team girls! Thanks!). If what you say is true about her having to put her hands down before her legs are even parallel with the floor, it sounds to me like she’s either bailing out mid-skill or isn’t driving hard enough during the launch. The aerials are tough because you have to do a full rotation (albeit a side rotation) using just one foot for spring power (most skills you take off with both feet). Because of this, how hard you push off that first foot coming out of the hurdle is crucial to whether or not you’ll have the height (and therefore the time) to get all the way over and land the skill. Have her really think about pushing hard off the floor and driving that back foot (The foot she’ll land on) over as hard as she can (the faster the better).

Sometimes I have my girls practice that initial “push” in slow-motion, doing the step into the aerial and driving their back foot up to get the feel of really driving off the floor. This is what I’ve found works for my gymnasts, at least. 'Hope I’ve helped and done more than just confuse you further! :)

what's her flexibility like?

This is just anecdata, but I've noticed that the more flexible gymnasts tend to have an easier time with side and front aerials...especially if they also can generate a lot of heel drive with the first heel-if you can throw it to or even past split before your pushing foot even leaves the ground, you've gotten a lot of momentum and you have that much less to flip.

/anecdata

The springboard with no run.... just a step off of a folding mat onto the peak of the board.

Flexibility to increase the amount of arc completed before the push foot leaves the floor.

Cartwheels from a stand........ up an slight incline.

Yep, if you have a good cartwheel and some leg power, side aerial isn't that difficult besides getting over the head issues.

A good spotter and doing it off mats or a heightened surface.

Definitely no running into with a hurdle until they can already do it with a step hurdle.

what's her flexibility like?

Picture a steel beam........

Mostly kidding, but yeah, she isn't known for her flexibility. I don't know what drills they are doing for them at the gym but what she tries at home involves a few steps and then her hurdle.

Luckily, she is very limited by space so she can't really do much with them at home. They probably work on them at gym a couple times a month. Doesn't seem to be a huge priority.

Unfortunately, aerial cartwheels tend to get forgotten in compulsory. I know as a coach, I don't do them enough with the girls in the compulsory levels but it's a good skill down the road for higher levels. Get's down to time.

Good lunge and push through the knee and ball of foot while kicking rear leg as high as possible. That's really it.

One of the hardest things to get over is not reaching the hands to the floor. Many go arm circle in, wrap on chest. I always like arms out to sides. Russian lift is an idea too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back