Question about US Compulsory Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Iwannabemargo

Numpty Watcher
Proud Parent
Okay - so I'm learning loads about the US system, but can you tell me - on the compulsory levels I know that you have set moves that you have to include in the floor routine. Are the routines laid down exactly or are they like ours, a list of moves that must be in the routine but open to individual choreographing ?

thanks

'margo

The routines from USAG levels 1-6 are exact, same music, same moves, everything is choreographed. For L4-6 there are two pieces of music to choose from. Can you imagine those competitions?

There are other systems in the US that are a bit more like what the UK and Canada does. These are named things like Xcel, Prep Op and JOGA, amongst other things. These systems use the USAG skills, but in their own choreo etc.

Compulsory everyone does the same routines in all events with the same music for each level.

here is a link to an overview of the USAG JO program
:: USA Gymnastics :: Junior Olympic Program Overview ::

I know they had the videos of the new compulsory (L1 - L6) routines somewhere with the music but I don't know where it is exactly on the site.

The L7 and above and the Prep-Op program have the list of elements they can have in routines and different music for each kid

Yes, if you search on YouTube under "level 3 floor routine" or "level 4 bar routine" or whatever, all the way up through level 6, you will see multiple videos of the same exact routine. As Bog said, you can use either the "old" music or the "new" music for floor (neither of which is particularly thrilling but all have the uncanny ability to stick in your head for DAYS after each meet) but that's decided by the HC... so everyone in that gym at that level uses the same music. DD started at level 3, repeated it, and is now at 6, so this is our 5th year sitting through compulsory meets. Can not wait until next year!

The routines from USAG levels 1-6 are exact, same music, same moves, everything is choreographed. For L4-6 there are two pieces of music to choose from. Can you imagine those competitions?

There are other systems in the US that are a bit more like what the UK and Canada does. These are named things like Xcel, Prep Op and JOGA, amongst other things. These systems use the USAG skills, but in their own choreo etc.

That's it in a nutshell and yes I twitch everytime I hear music from L4,L5 & L6 Lol!
PS Bogs will you be getting the snow from our nor'easter - I can't believe we have 2 inches already with more on the way! Very unusual for NJ in October.

O M G - how do you not all go insane !

We have one local club that, for the rec comps does one routine for all thier girls - regardless of age- with the same music and tbh we all laugh at them - can you imagine the embassesment of a 13 year old doing Teddybear Rolls !

Hats off to you guys sitting through 50 identical routines year in year out !

PS Bogs will you be getting the snow from our nor'easter - I can't believe we have 2 inches already with more on the way! Very unusual for NJ in October.

Nope, very cold and sunny instead. I have friends in NJ and NY who are getting planty of the white stuff. For the past few years Eastern Quebec has received way less snow then normal. It seems we are in a cold donut hole of no snow! Stay warm and stay safe. I do have my snow tires on for when we do get some white stuff.

i can't imagine what it's like to listen the same music like 50 times a day... it must be horrible. in finland we don't use music at all until the optional levels. we have 3 compulsory levels an 2 optionals and then there is another system for the very advanced girls who want to skip all the easy levels and be a part of national team one day. they have 3 compulsory levels and 1 optional (elite level).

in june all the gymnasts of the country compete against each other and there may be 100 girls in the same level... i can't imagine how long the competitions would be if we used music.

we also have skill lists but the arrangement of the skills is not allowed to change. you are allowed to add dance parts as much as you want. unfortunately the coaches are little bit afraid of adding too much dance parts and some routines are not artistic at all! especially in level B (the first compulsory level) it's very uncommon to see ANY dance. i guess that the coaches don't want their girls routines to be "too flashy". modesty is appreciated much more than "showing off" because finnish people are very humble...

In response to those wondering about the music...it sucks, it really does. It does make practicing floor easier - everybody knows the pattern so you can get out of their way and you know when you can tumble. Last year there was a big meet our optionals attended, but other teams had compulsories there too...you could practically hear the crowd and gymnasts groan when they put on the L4 floor music.

Compulsory level meet music are like a chinese water torture LOL. I was so glad to finally get to the optional levels with DD.
the current music is just boring although the old L5 and one of then new level music makes me think of stripper music.

Can't wait to hear what the new music and new routines will be in 2013 when they change everything - I think they do it once ever 4 or 5 years.

50 times a day on a good day!! At L4 States there were 88 girls in my daughter's session and 1 floor, 88 repeats of that wretched music, BLECH!

Though most of the L6 meets this year have been 30-50 girls, we've had a couple with over 60 and again, always 1 floor. All my nightmares have compulsory gymnastics theme music.

It is the same in New Zealand, from steps 1 to 5, same routines, same music. Worse still, steps 2 and 3 have the same music, and steps 4 and 5 have the same music! So yes, we listen to the same music over and over all day! Step 1 has no music. Step 6 has compulsory skills in a set order, with optional choreography in between and optional music. Although usually each club will use the same routine and music for all their girls.

the current music is just boring although the old L5 and one of then new level music makes me think of stripper music.

OMG that's exactly how we used to describe it!! My oldest was L5 the first year of that music, and the first time we heard it, we were like 'what the......." LMAO!! I had to endure that for several years, when big DD finished L6 was the year Little Monkey started level 5!!!

I am so glad that we only have compulsory music until level 3 and even then there are some optional elements to the routine but all the skills are in a set order. After level 4 there is optional music but normally all level 4s in a gym have the same routine and then level 5 you get your own routine, generally speaking. There was one comp where we had 14 level 4s from our gym and i thought the music was bad then, can't imagine what it would be like with every gymnast having the same music!

For most gyms in America (at least in California) it just wouldn't be feasible to have different music and routines for all our compulsories. We are a small to mid size gym and have 10 to 12 girls at each level, 4 to 6. The largest gyms in California have 20 to 30 girls at each compulsory level. Can you imagine what choas having 75 different peices of music would create?!

The larger gyms out here have even started creating one floor routine with one music for all their level 7's, since they have 15 to 20 girls at that level as well. It is becoming more common every year.

Side note - heard at Congress that new compulsory routines coming in 2013 will have 3 choices of music. Can't be great news for meet directors but will make the meets a little less monotonous!

Here every club brings their music on a cd with their name and club and level on it, very rare to have any issues with music. There are usually between 50 and 100 per flight. So that's how many cd's there are, it is rare to hear the same piece of music but it does happen once in a while.

I cannot imagine that moving to three choices of music would cause too many headaches. Some of our lowest level girls will share a routine, just saves time teaching it when training hours are limited.

But I have to say some of my fav routines were the ones my kids had when they were very small, Winnie the Pooh was adorable for my six year old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back