Parents Question on ages/levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not intending this to be a debate thread, but merely an informational one.

My daughter is competing this year as a level 3. Our states are in March, her birthday is April 2005. So, she is 5 and competes as a 5 year old for the entire season. She and another young lady are the only two on her team in this position - a handful of others started as 5s, but compete as 6s, as their birthdays occur prior to states. The other mom and I have talked about it and share our concerns with one another, as the mom's of the "babies" of the team. We worry about our girls.

So my question is this - I know 5 is the minimum age to compete level 3, and 6 is the minimum age to compete level 4 (which is why both of our girls are starting at level 3). Beyond that, though, do the USAG guidelines continue 1 year/level? Ad infinitum? So, by my count, that would be:
7 for level 5
8 for level 6
9 for level 7
10 for level 8
11 for level 9
12 for level 10

I know there are different levels of elite (jr/sr), which I'm sure also have age minimums.

Are these ages accurate? If not, when does USAG quit having age minimums? Optional levels?

I ask because I see reference to girls being "fast tracked" and I don't understand how that's possible when they're on the young end of the spectrum. I understand how it can be done if they're older, scoring out of a level, or more, per season. They would have more advancement available. But for those, like my daughter, who are riding the age minimum, I don't understand.

And, my disclaimer - I'm not asking b/c I want my daughter to do this - in fact, I always kind of thought she was safe from this type of talk b/c she *is* the age minimum. But, if there comes a time when the age minimum is no longer in effect, I want to know in advance - so I can have my argument of why I don't want her pushed along at the ready. Thanks for any help.

Where I live you have to be the following minimum age:

Level 4 - 6 yrs old
Level 5, 6 & 7 - 7 yrs old
Level 8 & 9 - 8 yrs old
Level 10 - 9 yrs old

And that's to compete USAG?

Wow - that's a real eye opener. I hadn't really considered much beyond this year and next. Thanks for the info!

What state are you in? Check online to see your states USAG rules. They can usually be found in the rules & regulations on the USAG site.

To answer your quesion about how young kids can be fast tracked if they are not the minimum age.... That is the age to participate in competition, but technically there is no minimum training age. Of course, there are recommended guidelines about at what ages kids should be safely learning other skills, but that's another topic. So these fast track kids often strictly train skills for higher levels and do not bother spending/ wasting time learning routines or skills that will never be used again (like the mill circle). Instead, they may already be training kips and squat ons for example and start right at level 5.

So these fast track kids often strictly train skills for higher levels and do not bother spending/ wasting time learning routines or skills that will never be used again (like the mill circle). Instead, they may already be training kips and squat ons for example and start right at level 5.

Aha. Gotcha.

And don't tell my daughter that there was a way to skip ever learning a mill circle. She'll hate me to the death that I made her march through it :)

Level 4 - 6 yrs old
Level 8 & 9 - 8 yrs old
Level 10 - 9 yrs old

Same in our State. We have a couple of 10 year olds competing Level 9 this season.

Level 4 - 6 yrs old
Level 8 & 9 - 8 yrs old
Level 10 - 9 yrs old

I'm pretty sure these are the national USAG guidelines and I think most states go by these at least for USAG competition.

So as you can see, the ages slowly go up the levels until age 7, when they can definitely fast track a couple of levels in one year if they are ready.

I am not an expert by any means since my dd is not even competing yet, but this is what I have been told.

I hope you dd has a great season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back