WAG Question regarding the new levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
So, from coming on here, I know that ideally girls who want to go on to do gymnastics in college ideally should be a level 10 by 14 years old or even earlier. Do you think that expectation will change a little with the level changes since it kind of adds another year in? For instance, if the level change hadn't happened, and my youngest DD progressed a level per year, then she would be an (old) level 3 at 7, level 4 at 8, level 5 at 9, level 6 at 10, level 7 at 11, level 8 at 12, level 9 at 13 and level 10 at 14. But now, everything will be one year later. She is moving up to new level 3 after her state meet later this month and will compete that next fall as an 8 year old, putting her at level 10 as a 15 year old if she moves one level per year.

Honestly, I don't know that I expect this daughter to continue gymnastics into high school, so likely it won't matter for her (doctors estimate that she will be around 6 feet tall. Plus, she is thinking about trying out swim team). It is just something that I have wondered about with the new levels.

I kind of wondered that too, especially for gyms that don't skip levels. I know for some gyms it won't matter, as many seemed to skip old 6, and it seems with the new levels it could be the same way.

considering level 7+ are still the same I don't really see it changing. I foresee a lot of people competing 5 and 6 or 6 and 7 in the same season which will most likely make up for it. PS I know a few girls who never even competed at level 10 and still competed on college teams. I don't think you need to compete level 10 for 4 years to be on a team. Maybe to get a full ride, but definitely not just to compete.

Good question, I have been wondering about that as well!! Should be interesting to see how it all plays out! I know a lot of girls at are gym who were level 7 last year are all repeating 7 this year because of some changes!

Good question, I have been wondering about that as well!! Should be interesting to see how it all plays out! I know a lot of girls at are gym who were level 7 last year are all repeating 7 this year because of some changes!

The level 7 requirements haven't changed, except to allow more C skills on UB, and the level 8 requirements haven't changed at all.

I don't think it will change. As it seems the new levels have been designed for most to skip a level around the level 5 or 6 point.

The level 7 requirements haven't changed, except to allow more C skills on UB, and the level 8 requirements haven't changed at all.
level 8 now allows for 1 C acro skill in each event, and I am guessing within a couple years, this will be the expectation, not the exception.

I agree with Aussie, most gyms that will produce college bound gymnasts are going to skip a level somewhere, likely level 6, or do 5/6 in the same year since they are so similar.

4+yrs at L10 isn't a necessity but it is the norm for mid-high ranking D1 scholarships. What appears to matter the most are the skills. Usually that goes hand in hand with several years at 10, but not always. Several people on CB have noted that your gymnast has to get noticed by college coaches and that is more likely to happen at nationals compared to the regular season meets.

Since L9 and L10 have not changed, it will still take a gymnast the same amount of time to get the skills for those levels. A gymnast that has the talent for a D1 college team just is really not going to be affected by the addition of the new L6 as it is designed for gymnasts that do not have their L7 skills yet. If that gymnast is at a gym that requires her to compete it, she will just be that much more solid when she does compete the upper optionals, provided she is still uptraining. So really it is more an issue of whether your gym is training the skills.

Last year, our level 7s were allowed to compete even if they didn't have their giants. But since level 6 is the new 1st optional, the ones who don't have giants will be doing 6 & the ones that do will be doing 7. That's why all of our girls are repeating 7! :)

levels have nothing to do with it. they learn when they learn inside the system.

I don't think the levels mean anything - your DD will learn the same way regardless of the labels.

But I feel like your plan is flawed. Not every child competes a level a year like they do at school. Some have spoken about skipped levels, but what about those who do two years at a level or two? That isn't unusual at the higher levels either.

After USAG decided to change the levels, they also made it so that a gymnast could compete New 5 and New 6 and go back and forth... or they could go straight from New 5 to 7.... New 6 is designed to be skipped if not needed (as long as the gymnast has 2 Bs on each event, no need for L6). Also, for those girls who have the skills for New 5, it wouldn't be a stretch to say they are ready for New 6... then move up to 7 midseason as the skills develop - just have the floor music in both lengths and add a little more dance into the routine, upgrade the tumbling and voila... ready to go for 7.
BUT, I also agree with those posters who said it doesn't REQUIRE 4 years of L10 to compete on a college team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back