Questions about buying a bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

I was recently looking around online for mini at home bars. I found a good one and it's a norberts mini bar. The only problem I have is the weight limit. It says up to 80 pounds unless bolted. I weigh about a 100 pounds and I am about 5 foot 2 inches. My question is would sandbags be good enough to hold the bar down???? It does say on the site that it does not shake or rattle. I am still unsure about making this purchase. Mainly because my parents will probably make me pay for it but I don't really mind. Also if anyone has purchased a bar if you can provide some info such as the weight limits. Thanks again! As always this question is open to everyone coaches gymnasts and parents.

I would worry about saftey at your size with a home bar. I know they sell those extension kits or something to keep them safer, maybe you could try that.

I would not recomend a home bar, they are fun for little kids beginning gym, but for someone your age wanting to work more advanced skills they can be very dangerous. The bar even bolted down would not really be safe for anything but beginner skills. They are expensive and you would very quickly outgrow it.

We have one of these bars in the gym and we keep the big girls off it as it just doesn't seem sturdy enough for 100 pounds of flying body.

These bars are barely good for circling skills with little kids if you ask me (unbolted for sure). I cringe every time I see some kid using poor technique to "hold back" on a shaky bar. It creates such terrible habits. I would hate to have all the aggressive swing work we're doing in the gym ruined on an unstable bar.

Any of those free standing bars I have used primarily as a cast, roll down bar for preschool classes (or pullover), within another circuit.

You're better off working on bar conditioning at home.

My daugher has the home bar and I've discouraged others from buying one, when they have older children. First, as one poster mentioned, the bar did wobble when she was trying, I think the shoot through or single leg circle and it was hard at first for her to realize the one at the gym wouldn't move. She did quickly get over that. I'm with her when she uses it and I make sure I hold it down, I doubt any stablizer would hold it completely down. I used it for conditioning, leg lifts and I'd have her jump up to condition her to learn the KIP.. I did teach her the kip with that bar~~ But, you have to remember, if your not a coach and teach yourself something the wrong way, you could get hurt and your learning bad habits, which are very hard to break!!! Our bar has a weight limit of 100 lbs...... I would say NO to doing any type of higher level bar skills then the KIP...

One of the mom's was told by our coach that you have to be so careful with the home bars because they can tip over easily.. I would say NO for you buying the bar. Good Luck!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back