WAG Questions about Giants :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SweetSecrets15

Coach
Gymnast
Hey guys, so last week I made my first giant on strap! (Cheers) I was so happy. But it was the strangest (and still kinda is) feeling ever. I was on strap and I was just tapping bigger and bigger in hopes of going over. Suddenly I hit the handstand and I began to feel like I was slowly falling backwards, but I actually was falling forwards! I swung around 3 more times and it felt like I was upside down the whole time and everything was in slow motion.

Now I'm much better, I can start giants on my second tap swing. But I was just so excited to start making them! As an older gymnast, giants were always my "big skill goals" and it just makes me so proud that I've come this far.

So it took me a long time to get to this question lol, but what did your first giant feel like? What's your first giant story? And how long did it take you to go from strap to pit bar.

Thanks!

I don't really remember my first as it was at least 6.5 years ago. It was on straps with one of our younger assistant coaches. He let those of us that had decent baby giants try full giants so I just tried it one day. After trying 2 sets it was probably 4-5 months before I did any more on the straps. Very soon after that I started working them on the pit bar. It took me a while to get them by myself as I couldn't cast to handstand and the timing for the wrist shift to get on top of the bar was hard to master. When I finally got them I still didn't have a cast to handstand so now, ~7 years later I'm just especially good at tapping and gianting from teeny casts.

Putting them on the set was a struggle for me. I tapped right at the low bar for a year as I was too scared to "pike" past the low bar. The following year I taught myself a straddle giant and ever since giants on set have been easy-peasy--and I no longer gave my coaches a heart-attack ;).

Initially, I think it's a weird feeling coming up in a handstand position rather than a close-shouldered position. Sometimes I still get that feeling when I realize how weird giants are.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back