Questions About IGC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymnasticsSarah

First off, If this is in the wrong category, please tell me.

Im planning on going to IGC next summer, but first I have some of questions.
1. Am I good enough? Im not even on the team and I'll be 12 next year. I heard IGC is for really serious and good athletes, and as far as I can tell, I'm not that good. I know most of the skills up to lvl 5 and almost 6, and Im expecting to join USAIGC sometimes soon, but I still feel like ill be with 7 yr olds.
2. Is it true they actually take away your cell phone? I wouldn't be using my phone during camp or anything, its just once in a while I would like to text my family to tell them Im ok.
3. Will I make friends? I don't have all that many friends in the first place and I don't really get invited to parties or anything. Will I make new friends and have fun? Did you guys have fun?:confused:
4. Lastly, Will IGC be worth the money? I love gymnastics and all but $1000 is a lot for one week. Will I really learn a lot?

Thanks

Yes, you will learn a lot. You are obviously good. I know 13 year olds who are one level 1. If you love the sport, it can't be that bad being with girls younger than you, plus I know several there will be older than you. I'm not sure about the cell phone thing, but I'm sure you'll be able to communicate somehow.

My daughter went to IGC last summer without knowing anyone, and she was only 9. The staff was fantastic and she immediately met people in her cabin and training group and had a great time! I think they are very accepting of all levels of gymnastics and they have people come from all over the world, so I'm sure there will be girls close to your age at the same skill level.

They do have a strict no electronics policy at IGC and this includes cell phones, Itouch, e-readers, etc. The idea is to minimize losing valuables as well as to focus on having a true camp experience. I was leery, but it ended up being totally fine. Campers are really busy and the staff is highly trained on dealing with homesickness issues. It was honestly harder for me to get through the week than my daughter. Parents and relatives can check the website for pictures every day and also send camp notes to let campers know you are thinking about them. That helps!

Good luck to you! My daughter is going back again this year and can't wait. It is a really special place.

First off, relax! No need to stress yourself out. :)

No you won't be with only 7 year olds. I think about half of the camp is beginners. There will be plenty of gymnasts your age and level. I'm sure you'll make friends with other gymnasts and have a great time like everyone does. Don't worry about the money part--that isn't your job. Besides, it's very well worth it you'll see. Hope you go!

Also as a heads up, might be getting banned by a mod as you stated you were under 13 years of age.

You won't feel out of your league because you'll be out in a group of kids the same height and same skill level. Last year I was in a group with almost 10 girls. The groups are set up very well I thought.

Sarah, you were already banned once for being under age, please do not come back until you are 13. We will be glad to see you then.

Some Answers and Since Im Going What to Pack?

I see that you've been banned multiple times but just in case you still surf the forum without an account or for others who are going to IGC, Ill answer the question

Dont be scared about being with little kids, if you truly love the sport, you wouldnt care. Im going this year and I am 15 years old 16 next year and Im not even in USAIGC or USAG. I only know skills up to level 2 and 3(all but ROBH) and very little 4. Don't worry, I bet youll have a blast. Also, remember they don't pair roommates based on skill so you wont get a little kid as a roommate. I heard they do take away your phone if you have them because they don't want you distracted but surely you will have a lot of fun without your cell phone (I like to text too!) Have Fun!

Also, just one question:
Im going to IGC this year and I have no clue what to bring like how many leos... etc.
If you have been to IGC before, post what you brought, it would really be helpful
Thanks

-Katie;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back