Parents Questions over progress..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My youngest dd has been in her development group a year now and has been training 5 hours a week since April, I have concerns over her progress, she has got stonger and more flexible but she still hasn't learnt a hanging pullover, she is no where near doing back handsprings alone and has just begun to work on a roundoff backhand spring with a spot, they had a fun session last night where they got to chose what they were doing, they spent half of the time doing various jumps and somersault on the trampoline - doing mini competitions,dd came last as she struggled to get much height and power on her jumps, she struggles with full turns into a mat, struggles with front handsprings from the trampoline onto a crash mat and the same with front tucks.

They also got to do stuff on the tumble track and dd did manage to to a front handspring on the tumble track and land in a crouch - she had never done these before and went from landing on her bum to landing on her feet in a crouch in 20 mins, so she is capable of learning when she is taught.

I feel that dd is losing out, always the last to get things, the coach has a group of 8 girls of various ages and ability do they don't all get taught the same things.,I guess when dd joined the group I was expecting them to be taught the same sort of things together, I have been told that dd is too small to jump from the low bar to high bar :( when they do pull ups the coach us no where near them and it doesn't look like there is any encouragement to do hanging pullovers - certainly no spotting, some try them because the want to.

I understand that the girls needed to work on their strength this year as they came from rec and I understand that some take longer to learn things then others and gymnastics takes time.

I know next year they will be doing their county levels but I feel like it puts more pressure on the coach having to teach the girls different levels.

I don't know if this is a rant or just a general observation, dd still loves her group and gymnastics so I guess nothing else matters, just a bit mah about the lack of progress for dd, she has only done one competition a few weeks ago and came last for her age group, I know someone has to come last and the only way is up.

Is this normal or just me?

I think you are totally normal to feel that way, but in my (fairly short) experience, they do get it eventually! Every time I've been worried about something, she amazes me. :) She is STILL struggling with the darn kip, but HC says it will come and I believe it! Hang in there. Like you said, the most important thing is that she's having fun. Good luck!

Just give it time and don't compare your DD to other kids! My DD started gym young but was a slooooow learner! She's now caught up to some kids that progressed much faster when they were younger.

Thanks guys, I try not to compare her to her team mates as she is 6 years younger then the oldest one, I guess it was seeing the younger development girls aged 5-7 doing front and back handsprings when they are no stronger then dd that made me question what did is learning, the coaching style for them is so much more different but then again these young girls are on elite track (performance development). I know that what they are doing now is no indication as to wether they will be in gymnastics in a few years time but I can't help feeling disheartened (I know I shouldn't).

Merry Christmas x

Oh yes, try not to compare her to other kids. It's like you say: they are so much older. Don't even compare her with the younger development girls if they are doing bigger skills. That will only lead to gym mum meltdown, and nobody needs that.

Compare her with herself. Can you see a difference? Her hours went up, didn't they? How does she feel she is getting on?

Her hours did go up as one day a week wasn't enough and I know the coach wanted them to have an extra day but there was the problem of finding the space in the gym, don't know if they will get another day at some point in the coming year.

They were originally going to be doing the new club grades and that has been scrapped for them next year and they are doing the county levels and hopefully the new club grades in 2016.

I guess I was thinking allowed as I haven't really seen much progress in 6 months. Hopefully next year things will be better when they start to work on their county levels.

I am not sure what dd thinks of her progress but she sees that she is behind all the rest by seeing what the others are doing, she hasn't really said a great deal to be honest.

Is there not a developmental group more her age that she could join? That's a pretty big age difference. Not that she or you should compare her to other children, being in a group of peers her age could be of more benefit.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Wait until your DD gets her kip. Switches to grips, loses it. Gets is back. Grows and inch, loses it again. All right before the season starts.

This sport is a sport of back and forth and inches gained and what you might see as no progress can look very different to a coach. Strength is huge so don't knock her improved strength

Its quite common for mixed age groups, especially in developmental groups. The whole age thing is a bit different here in the UK, as once they are one or two years out of age they all compete against each other anyway. In pinks last comp Level 4 was split into two groups, 2004 and 2003 and older. Oldest girl there was 16. She just has to do her best.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/how-much-progress-would-you-expect-after-4-months.45214/

The link above is to a thread you posted earlier this year. I imagine you'll notice LOTS of progress if you think back to where she really was 6-8 months ago. The personal progress is not the problem - it's the comparisons against other girls that are making you frustrated. I think that is a really common issue among parents. It's hard not to compare our kids. I know I struggle with that, too.

One thing you mentioned is that you had hoped that all of the girls would be learning the same skills. But gymnastics isn't typically like that. Yes, many skills are introduced at the same time, but really each child moves at her own pace. And I'm quite thankful for that, because it's safer, for one thing, and it means kids won't be bored working on old skills if they are ready to move on to something harder.

Your younger DD is about the same age as mine, and I think yours is learning fantastic things this year. I've seen some of your updates, and I always think that her group sounds like it's working out very well. Don't stress. :)

Reactions: COz
I think it sounds difficult with such a wide range of ages, but everything sounds like it's going really well. I'm always impressed with the stuff that she's doing on 9 hours a week. I'm looking forward to when mine does some of the stuff that she is doing!

I feel that dd is losing out, always the last to get things, the coach has a group of 8 girls of various ages and ability do they don't all get taught the same things.,I guess when dd joined the group I was expecting them to be taught the same sort of things together

This is not a realistic view of gymnastics. Also 8 is a very small group.

I remember feeling this way. I agree with some of the advice you've gotten here already. Take a step back: don't watch practices. Suspend your disbelief that she isn't improving. That's like staring at a child for a solid month and saying she isn't growing taller: of course she is, just not on a scale observable in a short period of time. Never, ever, EVER compare her to anyone but herself!!!! It will all come together, when it comes together, and no amount of worrying will change that. Just remember to keep the big picture in mind, ala Douglass Adams' "total perspective vortex". She is going to be fine, really. Mine is somewhat of a late bloomer too and if I think back I just can't believe how much progress she has made in the last year or two or three.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back