Quick! Need hair ribbon/bow idea!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
OK, I have a group of parents showing up to make 40 hair ribbons/bows TODAY for a meet this weekend. Don't ask... it was my own idea, and yes, it was totally last minute. But I was hoping that the HC would weigh in with a suggestion of what I should be making, and she hasn't yet, and I have about 2.5 hours till I need to go shopping for supplies, whether she's weighed in or not. I need something quick, cute, easy, and cheap to make.

I was thinking about maybe these... zakka life: Craft Project: Tulle Ponytail Holder

but a) how do you think they'd look for girls who generally like to wear their hair in a bun? and b) do you think it looks too much like they'd be wearing a pot-scrubber on their head? If it matters, this is just a one-time thing and not something they will be wearing at meets in the future. It's O.K. if it's fun and/or funky for this meet, as long as it's not in their face or getting in the way of their tumbling.

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions. If you have an idea, can you search around online and see if you can find instructions on how to make what you have in mind? And a picture? I don't really have time to experiment to get something right.

A thousand thank-yous in advance!!!

our gym made hair ties for a special meet so everyone had the same

here is the site we used Make ribbon embellished hair elastic bows

It is basicly cutting thin ribbon and just tying them to a standard hair elastic. Then the elastic just goes around the bun if needed you can pin it in but my DD who wore a bun at that time it just stayed in place without the tie. All you need is rolls of ribbons (look in the bridal area of a craft store they have tons in the 1/4 " size which is what we used) and a simple hair elastic.

That's really cute, but I'm not sure how it would look with a bun... some team parents made these for us during a practice this year and they look great with everything - buns, braids, ponytails, etc. They seemed really easy to make - they bought the fabric in the team colors (probably from a place like JoAnn), then cut about 8-10 equal sized strips of each color per hair tie and then knotted them on. They made about 100 in 2-3 hours.

I hope the image works!

LOL looks like we are all posting the same just tie a ribbon on to a pony tail holder hair ribbon. The only suggestion is that the ribbon be less than 1 inch wide. it looks less stiff. Also you can glue rhinstones ect to the end of some of the ribbons for that sparkle

Our mom's also made the ribbons on a pony tail holder to match the leos. However I don't think the regular ponytail holders work for a bun...I think a bun is too big.

Coach didn't like the ones that look like pot scrubbers.
Ended up with something like this...
Ponytail Holder - jcaroline creative

It's for the Pink Invitational so we're coving each button (with a cotton ball hot-glued to it to make it puffy) with black fabric and then sticking a pink ribbon on each one. We're not done yet, but people have taken some buttons home to cover with fabric (that's the time-consuming part) and we'll put the finishing touches on them tomorrow at practice. I still don't think I can use them with a bun though, which is how my daughter prefers to wear her hair.

Can you pin it to the back of the bun so the button is in the middle of the bun? It could look cute!

Looks cute! What if you braided her hair, circled it around as a bun and used the holder, then bobby pin/clip the sides? Hard with thick hair but maybe doable with normal to thin hair. I like Txgymfan's idea of pinning it too.

Oh my goodness! This is too cute! I saved the instructions so that I can try making some. I'd like to have a lot of different colors and patterns to coordinate with her day-to-day clothes. You've given me an idea--If I could do a ton of them in the next few weeks, they would be a cute birthday present for DD.

Let us know how difficult it was to cover the buttons. Or any special tips and tricks learned in the process.

As for using it on a bun - what if you put her bun in place as normal and then put the "button" ponytail around it the same way as a regular ponytail (like with a scrunci), with the button on top?

We learned the hard way about using hair pins in buns. We'll never, ever do that again! I really didn't think all of the blood would come out of her leo, but luckily it did.

Let us know how difficult it was to cover the buttons. Or any special tips and tricks learned in the process.
I've used the button covering kits before and they are pretty simple, it's just a matter of cutting out the little circles of fabric to the specific size. Most craft stores (JoAnns, Hobby Lobby) carry them in a range of sizes for standard buttons and they are pretty inexpensive. I didn't use interfacing when I did it (I was using felt, so I guess it might be helpful with thinner fabrics, but probably not totally necessary).

MaryA, these sound support cute. Please post pictures when you're all done!

I just used largeish (about 1-1.5 inch) cheapo plastic buttons from walmart. Put a little wire through two of the button holes to attach the pony tail holder. Hot-glued about half a cotton ball to the the top. I was trying to hot-glue fabric around the button, but it was hard to get the edges smooth. Then a more crafty mom than me came in to help and showed us how to slipstitch around a circle of fabric, put the button in, and then pull the fabric closed like a pouch. Then it's just a matter of stitching the back to secure it and tighten up any wrinkles around the edges. They look much better stitched than glued and it really wasn't any harder (and I'm less likely to injure myself with a needle than with a glue gun). We're going to hot-glue the ribbons on, and I got some stick-on pink sparkles. I just hope that the ribons hold. I'm going to make up a couple of emergency bags for the coaches with a needle and pink thread (in case the pink ribbon comes off) and some extra pink sparkles. Hopefully they'll hold together, at least long enough for the meet. I will post a picture when they're finished.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back