Parents Quick Question: Regarding Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First off...Hi to everyone! I've missed chatting with you all :)

To the parents with experience in this area I have a question that I'm a bit embarrassed to ask. But honestly I'd rather have y'alls input then ask the gym and make a fool out of myself. So, here goes!

Pixie finally got her grips today (the gym orders them when the gymnast makes her kip 5 or maybe 10 times in a row) even though she's had her kip for a long time. She came to the car this evening and said you have to get me some wristbands.

Well, I remember a conversation, here, where somebody said their daughter uses the neoprene wristbands because of slipping or chaffing...something like that. But what I was wondering is do they use the neoprene wristbands under the other wristbands or instead of? When I was a gymnast we didn't have those. If they did I never saw them. Also do the use prewrap under the wristbands?

What are your opinions on wristbands in general? Do your gymmies have any preferences? Any links to online stores?

I was doing some online shopping to order her some but I just don't know if I want the traditional ones or neoprene, for her. I want to get her the best ones. What ever that may be, for comfort, to prevent wrist rips, to prevent slipping, etc. What do you guys think?

I value your opinions here. I haven't been steered wrong yet :D

Oh, one last thing! Since I was here last I've cleared my cache and I cannot figure out how to get the pink and purple background back on this forum. The one that's on there now is black & yellow and it hurts my eyes. How do I change that??? Thanks!

Last edited:
Actually, I have one more thing to ask:

The button under my ID that show I'm a CB supporter is gone and it hasn't been a year since I made my contribution.

It looks like this:
cb-booster.png

I was just wondering where it went. No big deal really. It's just all these changes (forum background, missing button) at once are too much to handle! aHhhh!! lol!!

Last edited:
My DD has been using just extra wide cotton wristbands with her grips (I think her grips are the Hot Shots w/buckle & dowel grips) since she started using them last year. She lost one of them a couple months ago and I tried going to a sports store like Sports Authority to purchase a new pair since she needed them quick but they had nothing extra wide so I got a regular pair. She hated them and I ended up making an order online and buying two sets to have an extra one just in case. I ordered colors nobody else had! This way she would be sure not to lose them again or have them taken. Extra wide means they are about 6+ inches. They seem huge, and go way up her wrists, but she likes them like that and gym recomended them. I can't remember where I ordered from, maybe American Gymnast or Ten-O maybe? If there was a discussion about the neoprene ones I may have missed it myself so I am also interested in the comments.

Good luck with the new grips, my DD could not wait to get her first pair, and from day ONE loved them! She did complain about them being a little slippery at times when they are working giants, but we ordered the grip brush for her and that seems to help so you may want to add one of those to your order too, LOL

Edit to add: BTW, DD only uses pre wrap for her HAIR! Doesn't use anything under grips except the wristbands!

Last edited:
Actually, I have one more thing to ask:

The button under my ID that show I'm a CB supporter is gone and it hasn't been a year since I made my contribution.

It looks like this:
cb-booster.png

I was just wondering where it went. No big deal really. It's just all these changes (forum background, missing button) at once are too much to handle! aHhhh!! lol!!

Don't have a grip answer, but I think mine disappeared before it's time as well. It was back before the change to this current one, after the big shut down for a few days. :)

They use the neoprene wrist bands instead of the others. I got a pair for my dd when she fist got grips, but they were too big and she didn't like them. My kids both prefer the thick cotton ones.

My dd is new to grips too and we have the super wide wristbands. She says the grips still slip, though, so am thinking about prewrap. Does anyone have any experience with using prewrap?

No answer here on the grips really as DD does not use yet. But I believe the pink skin is gone and the. black is now the only option

My daughter uses the extra-wide cotton wrist bands with her grips. She keeps two or three pairs in her grip bag and I have another couple of pairs at home as they seem to get lost more often than socks in the laundry. Here's a link:
Wristbands, 6" Cotton Wristband

She is also now needing the neoprene wrist bands for use on the strap bar as it has given her nasty rips on her wrists. Her coach said to buy these:
g924rb rip busters

As for pre-wrap, DD only uses that when she has to tape. Until the neoprene wrist bands arrive, she is putting big band aids on her rips and covering them with pre-wrap and tape and then putting on her cotton wrist bands, all to use the strap bar. She doesn't do all that just for her grips, though. For those she just uses the cotton wrist bands alone and has never had any problem.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Shawn. L has the wide cotton wristbands, but is having slipping issues. One of her teammates uses prewrap under her wristbands and said it helped her with slipping. I think we are going to check and make sure the grips are the right size first and then try prewrap or wrist inserts to make it easier to tighten the grips. May try buckle grips too.

My gymmie has always been satisfied with just the plain old cotton wristbands and does fine with the ones you can buy at any of the big sporting goods stores. She's had velcro and now double buckle grips and no problems for her---currently is doing a complete L9 bar routine.

Seems like the younger girls who may have thinner arms/wrists are the ones that need the extra wide wristbands and pre wrap.

If you go to the bottom of this page on the left hand side there is a drop down menu that gives you the option of 'vb original' or 'chalk bucket original 2005' The black one is hideous and hurts my eyes too! The vb original is a nice calm blue background and quite acceptable. Hope that helps.

I have a gymnast with tiny hinds and skinny wrists. She prefers the wide terry wrist bands and never lets me wash them (gag!). We have also found that getting grips with buckles instead of velcro closure helps with slipping issues.

I have a gymnast with tiny hinds

LOL Flippers Mom, you must have had that post on the briefs on your mind! Thanks for the tips. I asked my dd to have her coach verify that her grips are the right size. We will order buckle grips and see if that helps. .

wow. You all are super amazing! So much great info you have all shared with me. Thanks, ladies :)

After doing a bit more searching online I have realized that the neoprene wristbands generally start at size small which is 5.5" to 6" wrist and Pixie is just under 5". So she is going to have to wait on those. I did find one place that had a size XS but I couldn't find it when I went to look for it again.

I've also learned that the double wristbands that are 6" are too long for her as well. They would come up to her elbows, haha!! So I think I'm going to settle on the 4" terrycloth ones and see how they work. Which will probably be alright since her grips have the double buckles.

Here's a funny story about Pixie's new grips. Before practice today Pixie said she was going to bring her new grips and use the wristbands that another gymnast had given her with some palm guards, last year. These wristbands are well used and stiff with chalk. But she was bound and determined to take them so she could use her new grips today. Well, when I went to pick her up I asked how her new grips worked out and she looked at me like I had just kicked her pupppy. She told me "we didn't even do bars today!" Bless her heart! lol.

It's too bad they got rid of the pink and purple backgrounds they were so pleasant & comfy! I'll have to try the other one because this black and yellow is not workin for me. My eyes are just too sensitive, I guess.

Thanks again for all the great info.
You really have helped me very much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back