Coaches R.I.P. John Wooden

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is a few days late, but for anyone who doesn't know of him he was a UCLA basketball coach. Not gymnastics, but a coach nonetheless. He lived in the service of both youth and sports, and never lost sight of the fact that he was coaching life skills along with basketball. I was reading more about him and found the top 5 quotes of his, they're pretty fantastic.

John Wooden Quote #1: “Be prepared to be honest.â€￾

John Wooden Quote #2: “Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.â€￾

John Wooden Quote #3: “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.â€￾

John Wooden Quote #4: “Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.â€￾

John Wooden Quote #5: “It isn’t what you do, but how you do it.â€￾

Here are his 12 lessons in leadership and pyramid of success. The quotes are applicable to anyone, these are more coach/athlete specific. It's an eloquent and organized way of focusing on what matters. Not pandering and saccharine sweet, nor elitist and unforgiving. My favorite is 'intentness'.

john_wooden_pyramid.jpg

I can see why his death has caused such a stir, by all accounts he lived and coached with lots of integrity and insight and will be missed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back