WAG Rec Class Conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi there I'm hoping someone can help me out! I'm a fairly new coach and have been asked to create an "At Home Conditioning" sheet for my recreational class who do 1 hour a week. I'm an ex competitive gymnast so I'm unsure on what exercises and reps are appropriate for their abilities so wondering does anyone have advice? Thanks

A moderator could move it. But us coaches don't exclusively frequent the coach board.

What age range are we talking?
My littles train 2 hours a week but they're quite young (mostly 6-8). My answer would vary a lot if the group your talking about is made up, for instance, of pre teens / teens.

Generally speaking, my best guess are body weight exercises around the same amount of reps (not round though, they're rec after all, they shouldn't be spending all of their free time conditioning:rolleyes:) you'd have them do at practice.

Thanks for the reply. The age range is 9-11. Conditioning at the gym involves lots of circuit work but I do have some of the more common exercises on it. Is there any particularly beneficial ones they could do? Also is expecting them to be doing it daily too much?

Is there any particularly beneficial ones they could do? Also is expecting them to be doing it daily too much?
Yes, way too much. These kids are rec kids at one hour per week. Gymnastics may be far from a priority for them. It also may kill their fun. It is good for them to know that conditioning at home might help them get better at gymnastics, and if they are motivated to move up form rec then conditioning daily is a good idea. Make it optional though.

Things I can think that would be beneficial and probably able to be done well at home, arch rocks, hollow rocks, handstands holds against the wall, push-ups, v-ups, splits. Numbers depend on what you know they are able to do well. No point in them conditioning at home if they are only able to do it with poor form.

Cool thing about at home conditioning is they can pace themselves. Whatever they do is a benefit. But I wouldn't expect a lot, its rec. Better they do it because they want to.

I would make sure they are exercises they can do well. Give them a start point (low reps/time) have them work up to max.

Just for something to think about. Here is the conditioning my daughter does when not in the gym (coach doesn't expect them to do it on gym days). Again just for ideas I wouldn't necessarily think a rec kid would be doing all this. The other thing is when they start to see results (as in their gymnastics gets better, hopefully, its its own incentive, but again it really depends on the kid).

Cardio: Run / swim or bike 20’
Stretching (team warm up)
Squat straight jumps 20x
Wall sit 1min
Wall handstand hold 1min
Leg kicks 15x each
Leg pulses 10x each
Press handstands 10x
Push ups 2x20
Plank 1min all sides
Mountain climbers 20x each
1 leg squat 10x each
Releves (use weights) 50x
Chin ups 4x5
Hollow hold 1min
Arch hold 1min
100 abs, sides, back
Arms only arch ups 50x
Fire hydrants 15x each
Heel drives 50x each
Shoulder stretch 30 sec each
Half split against wall 1min each
Center split against wall 1min
Pike stretch 1min
Feet stretch with band

Absolutely not everyday, they wouldn't do it, unless you have THE most motivated rec gymnasts of all time.

I'd do:
  • a quick cardio warmup (like running on the spot, tuck jumps etc.)
  • pushups (can be modified as needed, you know your gymnasts best)
  • planks (I like the "watching tv" variation of this where they hold for one commercial, rest for the next, hold, rest, hold...)
  • wall handstands
  • sit with legs out in front, lift one at a time and hold, then pulse
  • lean back, hands behind butt, lift both legs (and do scissors, circles, tuck legs and straighten, ...)
  • hold a low bridge (the yoga, legs in, arms pressing into the ground, shoulders on the floor, butt to the ceiling kind)
Even this would be a lot in one day. Best to pick and choose three to four exercises that ideally target all major muscle groups (which is why I'm all in for planking!).

Oh, and cut back on the reps. Depending on how many exercises you end up choosing, 5 - 10 reps should be plenty.

Did parents ask for this? Otherwise honestly I would not give them any homework. The are rec kids. If they want conditioning for home that is one thing but some kids really just want to come to gym 1 hour a week and have fun. If you push these kids they more than likely won't do it and will feel bad when you ask if they did there assignment. You can always encourage them to work their hollow bodies, super girl shapes, and splits at home and let them know the more they work these the faster they will learn but let it be student led instead of expecting your whole class to do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back