Recruit Questionnaires

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay so I am really confused on what these are because if you go on a college website anyone can fill them out. I have read articles though that say if you have been recruited. Can you fill one out if you want the college to notice you? How else would you get colleges to look at you?

I don't know anything about recruitment questionnaires, but I do know about trying to get college coaches to notice you. All of this information is from personal experience and what I've heard from my club coach and at college preview camps. There are probably errors and things I emphasized that aren't that important below, but it's somewhere you can start. Good luck!
  • Create a gymnastics "resume" sheet. Like a real resume if should be 1-2 pages max. Include your name, gym, coaches, contact info of you and your coach, the level you're training, region, etc. Include all that ish. Also include skills you've competed and skills you're training. Include the scores and places you got at your top meets from the last season. If you competed at regionals and/or westerns/easterns and/or nationals, mention that. I've also heard that including a head shot and/or photos of you competing on the sheet is good because it puts a face to a name. I don't know if including school/education is good or not though.
  • Create a youtube account and personal website (using a free website service, I've used weebly and tumblr before). The title for these sites should be your name. I was told first initial of your first name, last name, and birth year. Because my account name on here is my name I don't feel bad giving this example: my youtube name is CSasmor96. This gets your name out there, and if you haven't been pushed ahead or held back a year in school, it also gets your graduation year out. Post videos of your skills and meets on these sites (adding a link to your youtube would work as well as including links to youtube videos in posts). Make sure you include contact info (email) and all of the information from your "resume" on this site. You could put each thing of a different page and add links to the homepage for example. Blog posts about meets and practices and even school aren't bad. The important part is keeping it positive. Include your school stuff somewhere on there, like your GPA and SAT/ACT/AP/IB exam scores.
  • Create an email specifically for this college recruitment process. The username for this email, the part before the @site.com, should be the same or similar to the name of your other sites/accounts.
  • Attend college preview gymnastics camps. There was one two weeks ago at NorthPointe gymnastics in Vancouver, Washington that my teammates went to. There's college coaches from all over at these camps looking to recruit kids. Usually the gymnasts are levels 9 and 10 and going into one of the 4 years of high school, though that isn't a requirement I don't think. You can pass out your "resume" to college coaches at these camps.
  • I think college coaches sometimes attend big gymnastics meets, Chicago Style and Lady Luck for example, during the level 9 and 10 sessions, but I could be wrong. They also may attend regional meets/westerns/easterns/nationals, but I could be wrong about that too.
  • Compile a list of your top 20 schools and see if you're on track to compete with the girls currently on the team. Use a meet scores provider to look at their JO scores if you want. Watch videos of the girls competing if you want. Checking if you're on track academically for these schools is also important. Make sure you'll have the appropriate credits and exam scores to graduation high school and be admitted to these schools. Even if you don't get a scholarship for gymnastics to a school, you could possibly "walk on" to a team.
  • You can freely contact a college coach about your interest in their program, but they cannot EMAIL you back until after July 1st of your junior year of high school. So pretty much right when your junior year is over. These two sites have info on contacting NCAA coaches and I think it's advisable to check them out: http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/ncaa-recruiting-rules-contact-visits.htm, http://www.athleticscholarships.net/how-to-contact-college-coaches.htm
  • Send your "resume" to your top 20 schools be email and when you have new videos up online emailing the link to the coaches is also a good idea. This is another reason why the head shot on the "resume" is a good idea, puts a face to a name.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back