Returning to gymnastics after 7 years, need some encouragement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I quit gymnastics when I was level 5 and 10 years old. I did allstar cheer for 7 years instead. I recently quit allstar when my coach did not spot me when he was supposed to and I fell on my neck, resulting in a concussion and continual tumbling block. I'm now 17 years old and started in the best gym I have ever been to, and ive never been happier. The new gym started me at level 6, but I am having major trouble picking up on dancy skills and leaps. Some skills are coming back to me amazingly fast, but others are not. Im spending 10 hours a week in the gym but my run-tumbling block is still there. Ive tried hypnosis and therapy for the block, and we have actually figured out i have some PTSD from my old cheer gym, not only from the accident, but also from the harsh coaching style. How have your kids come out of tumbling blocks? Any do you guys have any tips on helping me get back into gymnastics? I forgot how much I love it! :) My block is really weird, I have extremely high tumbling even though I am only 5 feet tall. I will do my skills if there is a hand on my back, if there isnt, I will stop or freakout and fall on my back. I have a standing tuck, a running tuck, and a running layout pass. Ive had these skills for years and it is really making me mad i wont do them without a spot after my incident with being dropped. Sorry about the long post, but I am looking forward to meeting all of you!

this is a vestibular issue. i would encourage you to find something else to do. and i'm not being negative.

You could try kinesiology - it is kind of weird, but it helped my DD when she was afraid of BHS.

I've been there, but I promise, you will get over it. Here's what I did.
Have your coach gradually take his hand away until he's just standing there. Then, have your coach take a small steps back.
Sometimes, you just have to rip the bandaid off. Sometimes somebody else has to rip the bandaid off.
When I was scared of my round off, BHS, back tuck, my coach said he'd spot me, though we both know I can do the pass, when I landed my BHS, he'd walk away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back