Parents right and wrong ways to do publicity

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
I hope this will be a constructive diversion. I think pretty much all of us agree that setting up an Instagram for your five-year-old future Olympian working out in your home gym with Coach Mom and Dad is a bad idea! But for those parents who are hoping to get their children onto college coaches' radar screens, what's the best way to do this? I've heard that having a simple Youtube account with routines and some good, fairly clean skills the child is uptraining is the way to go, but at what age/level should this start happening? And is it different for boys and girls?

Why does any child doing gymnastics need publicity beyond what they get at meets? And at official events? And what the gym does?

I signed a release for her gym.

Why does any child doing gymnastics need publicity beyond what they get at meets? And at official events?

Because college coaches don't have the time to go to every meet and watch gymnasts. And scores really don't tell you much about what the gymnast can do. They want to see the actual routines--in practice and at meets and you have to make it easy for them to see that information--a youtube channel works perfectly for that.

I have heard that at some point, if college gymnastics is what is wanted, then there needs to be a YouTube account. I'd assume that this isn't needed until the kid is level 9 or higher.

Because college coaches don't have the time to go to every meet and watch gymnasts. And scores really don't tell you much about what the gymnast can do. They want to see the actual routines--in practice and at meets and you have to make it easy for them to see that information--a youtube channel works perfectly for that.

And it doesn't have to public.

I am pretty sure coaches know who they are looking for. And where to look. And I am sure they don't go to every local meet. But I am pretty sure they have boots on the ground at places like regionals, nationals and maybe even states at the upper levels.

Really I don't think any upper level coaches are doing drive bys of thousands of videos of Level 3, 4, 5 and 6 gymnasts.

Do I think when you child is close enough to start thinking about heading off to college, you should have demo video at the ready? Level 9 and 10? Of course.

But out there publically for years? Heck no.

Finally, a sane discussion.

Having just been through this, let me give some tips.

For parents, please go and educate yourselves on the college recruiting process. When coaches can initiate communication, when they can interact with potential athletes, etc. The NCAA eligibility center is a good place to start as is the USAG website where they have a section for college gymnastics (https://usagym.org/pages/home/college/).

We were told that college coaches want to see good, solid, multi-year level 10's by the junior year. That means being a level 10 by the sophomore year.

Next, a simple youtube account is all that they want. If an athlete is interested in a school, they need to keep the coaches informed about what they are doing. Understand what kind of videos a coach wants to see; usually from the side of the apparatus, for example. Obviously since the coaches want to see level 10 skills, the account isn't really needed until level 10.

Finally, a sane discussion.

Having just been through this, let me give some tips.

For parents, please go and educate yourselves on the college recruiting process. When coaches can initiate communication, when they can interact with potential athletes, etc. The NCAA eligibility center is a good place to start as is the USAG website where they have a section for college gymnastics (https://usagym.org/pages/home/college/).

We were told that college coaches want to see good, solid, multi-year level 10's by the junior year. That means being a level 10 by the sophomore year.

Next, a simple youtube account is all that they want. If an athlete is interested in a school, they need to keep the coaches informed about what they are doing. Understand what kind of videos a coach wants to see; usually from the side of the apparatus, for example. Obviously since the coaches want to see level 10 skills, the account isn't really needed until level 10.

So Mom and Dads videos from the stands, not so much. Public, not necessary. Level 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, not needed?

Yeah pretty much what I thought.

From the stands is fine, just get the right angle and be sure and kill the sound; they don't need to hear crowd noise (except for floor, obviously). Definitely does not need to be public; we kept it private and only those that were sent the link could see the videos. Anything before level 9 is great for grandma and grandpa, but college coaches - nah.

Training videos are good to; just of the final product, not all of the build-up to a skill. Making a DVD (or recruiting video) - with youtube I don't think it is necessary.

In all cases of videos, don't take them from clear across the gym without zooming in. Try and get the whole apparatus in the frame and not have to pan to get everything. On bars, make sure that you can tell if the handstand was hit.

Good Luck.

Nothing is needed until they hit L9, then youtube and perhaps a gymdivas type page with links to results and videos. NO need for anything to be on public social media before that, if at all.

So again, a gymnast should be updating their you tube account and they should be getting the information to the coaches starting in their sophomore year. Not just plopping it out there for everyone to see.

And again, I am sure there is buzz from the higher level meets. If a coach is seeking you out. And that coach would not be able to chat with a gymnast until after Sept 1 of sophomore year.

So a sophomore is how old. 16-17?

Thanks for this. D is hitting level 9 now, but I was thinking high school was close enough to do this kind of thing. I keep a youtube for him, but it is for family.

I have heard that college camps are good for getting your name out there as well.

I've heard L9 and L10 as well, though for boys, it kind of has to be L9, since they can't go to L10 until age 15. (I have a friend whose son is starting this process now.) The interesting thing is that some folks have told her not to post only the perfect routines. He now has some exciting people following his channel, and they are hoping it will lead to visits in the future. Our boys go to one meet besides states, regionals, and nationals to which college coaches occasionally go, but we certainly can't count on them seeing the guys without Youtube.

I have another friend who has actually signed up with a recruiting consultant who manages social media in addition to advising on contact stuff. Right now, especially since I don't have any idea if college gym will even be on either one of my gymnasts' radar screen, that seems a bridge too far for me to cross when they reach those levels. But I will be interested to see if it pays off for her DD, who is very good but not a real standout.

I've heard L9 and L10 as well, though for boys, it kind of has to be L9, since they can't go to L10 until age 15. (I have a friend whose son is starting this process now.) The interesting thing is that some folks have told her not to post only the perfect routines. He now has some exciting people following his channel, and they are hoping it will lead to visits in the future. Our boys go to one meet besides states, regionals, and nationals to which college coaches occasionally go, but we certainly can't count on them seeing the guys without Youtube.

I have another friend who has actually signed up with a recruiting consultant who manages social media in addition to advising on contact stuff. Right now, especially since I don't have any idea if college gym will even be on either one of my gymnasts' radar screen, that seems a bridge too far for me to cross when they reach those levels. But I will be interested to see if it pays off for her DD, who is very good but not a real standout.

I guess I can't imagine putting d's videos on a recruiting site in 7th grade. Seems awfully young....at 15 he will be a freshman...seems about right. But i could be completely wrong!

Coaches are now recruiting and "verbaling" girls after their 8th and 9th grade year...wouldn't waiting until sophomore year to start putting videos up and sending to coaches be too late in today's recruiting world?
But again, it doesn't have to be public.

Yeah, I totally can't see seventh grade either, at least not for a boy. But it might be different for the girls. I don't think that many boys are getting verbal commitments in gym that young, are they??

You guys are going to get me started on this whole "commit" thing again. A verbal "commitment" is only as good as the paper it is written on (that being none, it won't hold up anywhere). Until paper is signed by both sides nothing is a given.

Coaches are now recruiting and "verbaling" girls after their 8th and 9th grade year...wouldn't waiting until sophomore year to start putting videos up and sending to coaches be too late in today's recruiting world?
So how do they get around the not interacting until sophomore year? Or have they changed the rules?

Again, I am sure if you are a high performing kid, the coaches know who you are. But again, what about the rules?

Yeah, I totally can't see seventh grade either, at least not for a boy. But it might be different for the girls. I don't think that many boys are getting verbal commitments in gym that young, are they??

OK. when you said you thought they need to be L9 to start the process, I panicked a bit. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back