WAG Righty or lefty?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gopuckgo

Coach
Proud Parent
Is your child right handed but does gymnastics left, or the opposite? My child is sort of right handed and does most gymnastics right handed, but can do a lot left handed too. I was the opposite. I noticed while watching the Gymnasts on T V recently that a lot of them tumble lefty. Strange huh? It just seems that in most other sports, righty people bat, kick or throw righty. As a lefty I was all mixed up anyway. Just a poll to see how many gymnasts tumble opposite as their dominant side.

I was also a right-handed but a lefty gymnast. I would twist left when going forward, and right when going backward

IRL, OG and YG are both right handed.
When OG was younger, she didn't have a dominant side in gymnastics... splits were even, cartwheels looked the same both ways, same with roundoffs, kickovers, walkovers, and leaps. She was late in developing a preference... finally decided at the age of 10 (old L6) that she was a righty.
There are days that I wish she still didn't have a preference.

YG is a gymnastics righty... UNLESS she gets confused.

I am a dominant lefty ambidextrous IRL.

In gymnastics, I am a righty. I can still do my right leg splits... too scared to even attempt left leg. Being ambidextrous my whole life really messed me up though. I still have trouble with lefts and rights :oops: even though I have a Master's in Secondary Education. I use the "L" trick... and had to go back and look at video of the girls to know which way they go... and I had to pretend I was going to do a cartwheel and see which felt better - that didnt help :rolleyes:, so I pretended a one-handed cartwheel... definite righty :cool:.

All three of my daughters are right-handed, but two of them are/were lefty gymnasts. However, we found that the coaches really enforced one side or the other when they began teaching compulsory routines because apparently there is a deduction if they don't stick with the same side throughout floor and beam routines. So, if she is going to split left, she has to leap left, cartwheel left, and back kickover/walkover left. And, I'm not sure about now, but in the old routines, leftys even had to start their dance in their floor routines with the their left arms.

My dd is also righty but lefty for gymnastics. I was the same way, but I seem to recall that most girls were right for gym as well and I was in the minority being lefty. It seems that dd's group is almost evenly split down the middle between righty and lefty.

DD is a righty IRL and lefty gymnast (I am as well- I practice my mighty cartwheel lefty ;) )

DS is righty IRL, righty gymnast, swings (baseball & golf) lefty

Pea's a lefty and does lefty tumbling. We have a friend who wrote a book about 'handedness' and there are different degrees of it. Pea is 'very' lefty as she does just about everything lefty. DS is lefty but kicks with both, bats with both, eats both. I'm totally righty, left hand is a useless appendage ;)

All three of my daughters are right-handed, but two of them are/were lefty gymnasts. However, we found that the coaches really enforced one side or the other when they began teaching compulsory routines because apparently there is a deduction if they don't stick with the same side throughout floor and beam routines. So, if she is going to split left, she has to leap left, cartwheel left, and back kickover/walkover left. And, I'm not sure about now, but in the old routines, leftys even had to start their dance in their floor routines with the their left arms.

Hmmm,,, that makes me wonder know. DD does front tumbling (cartwheels, roundoffs) lefty, but does BWO righty. I have no idea without looking at video how she does splits or leaps.
Now I'm wondering if she's getting deducted because of that...

My DD is a lefty all the way! Both of my girls are left handed, my son is right handed. Gymmie DD can write and color and draw equally well with both hands. In Pre-K, her teacher would get tickled (and confused) bc when one hand would get tired, she would just switch to the other. Now she's heading into the 3rd grade and pretty much just uses her left hand, except when she wants to beat me and her daddy in an 'off' hand writing contest. The competitive nature within her runs down to the bone!!!!

Oldest dd is a righty but does everything gym related with left youngest dd is a lefty, and does all gymnastics with left except back walkover she does with her right

I'm a lefty, but right-handed! I'd love to know why. Seems to be the case (or the other way around) with quite a few gymnasts! The only exceptions are my split leap and mill circle (back in the day!). I'm a righty with those skills.

Most of the kids I'm currently coaching are righties.

My DD is right-handed but does gymnastics as a lefty :)
Mine too. Some kids at our gym switch depending on the skill.

For a brief while dd had switched her shoot through leg, and couldn't figure out why she kept missing on it. She's not sure why she switched, she was quite happy when she switched back and was able to make it again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back