Rising Stars Training Camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
Has anyone gone to the Rising Stars Training Camp in the past? We got a note that it will be held in our region in September and it is $95.

It's almost a 2 hour drive for us and I wonder if it is worth going. It says the guest clinician is Tammy Biggs though I don't actually know who that is (sorry for my gymnastics ignorance!) When it comes to gymnastics, I do well as the check writer and taxi driver, not to mention supportive mom! I leave most details beyond that to my daughter and her coaches!!

I just wonder if the girls will get enough out of it that is different from regular practice because the cost plus the drive is a lot of time/money, especially at the beginning of the school year. My daughter is Level 7 so would be attending the Optionals session.

Thanks for any insight!

I've been to several clinics with Tammy, and she's a REALLY good coach. I'd say if she wants to do it, go for it, it'd probably be really beneficial.

Tammy is great. Some really good optinal coaches will also be there coaching bc its a requirement that we volunteer at this camp so our athletes can recieve apparel for Nationals. She should have a good experience....esp if she goes w her team!

tammy is the bomb. period. and what are you speaking of exactly ^^^ is this region 5? russ at rising stars in bloomington, il? or another rising stars somewhere/region else?

My DD attends one of those Rising Stars clinics every year. In addition, our gym brings in Tammy Biggs every year for a private clinic at our gym. At first, I also did not know who she was. So, I did a little research. Tammy Biggs' claim to fame that I've found (she may have more) is she was the coach of 1988 Olympian Missy Marlowe. Biggs was credited for helping Missy stay on beam. Biggs also won the 1996 Shirley Marshak (I don't know who she is and could not find anything about her) Memorial Award for the Development of the Talent Opportunity Program. A more recognizable past recipient is Bela Karolyi. I believe she is very active in the TOPS program. She is one of the judges at the national TOPS testing (at least last year she was). Our coaches think very highly of her. She has a lot of gymnastics drills and workout videos in the market. If you search youtube, there are a lot of videos of her coaching, teaching drills, etc.

My DD likes her. Their team always learns new tricks and skills and drills. She seems always sore after working with Tammy Biggs. I believe she is a very qualified coach. I don't know how strong your gym is in developing and training their gymnasts. Our gym is o.k., so we could certainly use Tammy Biggs. She does drills with our girls our gym never does. Some gyms have great coaches and as such, Tammy Biggs would just be redundant. If it were my DD, I'd pay the $95 and drive the 2 hours to get there. But like I said, my DD's gym is not the strongest gym in town. If my DD belonged to a great gym, I may have second thoughts just because of the 2 hour drive. I don't like to drive long distances. But I would pay $95 if a friend was willing to take my DD. :)

As far as the Rising Stars clinic goes, our experience differs every year depending on who the coaches are. Last year's Rising Stars was not that great. The coaches did not include Tammy Biggs or any other big names. Keep in mind too that Tammy Biggs will probably only be one of the coaches. They have a different coach in every apparatus. So, I'd find out the other coaches. If your DD is weak in one apparatus and there is a good coach assigned to that apparatus, it may be worth your while.

I will say though that as a rule, my DD had a fun time at those clinics (primarily because she is with her friends anyway), but she usually comes back having done something new, our learned something new. They seem to work harder on those clinics and it gives them some new challenges. All around, I'd say those clinics are a thumbs up.

QUOTE=dunno;166841]tammy is the bomb. period. and what are you speaking of exactly ^^^ is this region 5? russ at rising stars in bloomington, il? or another rising stars somewhere/region else?[/QUOTE]

We are in Region 6 and the clinic is in Massachusetts for Optionals in late September. I am pretty sure the paper said there is also one in NY. There's another one in October for Compulsories. Based on all of the feedback, I'll sign her up. There are at least 8 other girls from the gym going (levels 7-10) so she'll be with friends and that of course is always fun!

I've been to that same clinic in the past, and my gym is going this year too, although I won't be able to make it. It's great, and we always take something home from it. We've had a few private clinics with Tammy at my gym, she is just awesome. I'm sure your DD will have a great experience!

Tammy Biggs is GREAT! My DD got to be a demonsrator at a state coaches' clinic with her & she learned so much from that session. I'm sure the gymnasts will all learn a lot.

I will just reiterate what others have said, Tammy Biggs is great! While your daughter wont spend the whole time with your daughters group, there will be other great coaches there. My daughter has done rising stars for 3 years. I find that it is a fun experience for the girls. They have even had some small awards some years, like a grip bag. The benefit is having new coaches and new styles introduced, and again the girls have so much fun with it. I hope you decide to go, and have a great time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back