Parents ROBHS on floor vs. trampoline question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
My daughter has just gotten her robhs and now she doesn't want to do it on the tumble track at all. She will do it into the pit but is way more comfortable on the floor. I'm at a loss of why. Can anyone help me as to why she will not do it?
She's only 7 so she doesn't give me much of an explanation only that is the way she wants to do it. A while back she told me it hurt her back but she hasn't mentioned that again. The tumbling coaches say she is ready for a robhsbhs and robhsbt. She is really cautious about getting hurt and says she doesn't think she can do it. They tried to get her to practice her robhsbhs on the tumble track last night and she wouldn't do it.

It could just be the wrong "feel". DD has some difficulties with the tumble team because of the extra bounciness. It throws off her timing and she feels out-of-control.

Or, did she see someone go off the side or afraid she will?

Just a parent here, but I'm guessing she may feel out of control on a bouncy tumble track now that she has the power to do the skill on the floor. It is also very easy to hit the edge or fall off if you aren't always dead straight. Perhaps she has come close to that before? Hopefully your coach will patiently have her step back to roundoffs, or even cartwheels at first, then standing BHS, etc... on the tumble track if she is afraid to do the connected skill. It is very likely that she will gain the confidence back if the coach is patient.

If she is doing it on the floor, why would she need to do it on the tramp.?

Unless it's about a combo.

I don't know about other gyms, but at both my girls gyms the girls do tumbling on the tumble trak then floor every day. It's almost like a warm up, maybe? I thought it was standard as it's been like that at every gym we have been to.

My son who is a level 9 still does rhbhs on tumble track daily. He does all of his tumbling on the tumble track. It reduces impact on the joints while they still practice their tumbling.

My son who is a level 9 still does rhbhs on tumble track daily. He does all of his tumbling on the tumble track. It reduces impact on the joints while they still practice their tumbling.
Ok that makes sense thxs

This is a vestibular problem. I would guess she is either very "bouncy" or elements has a problem in technique (like going very crooked on the roundoff) causing it to be scary for her to land on tramp. But as the coaches say "she is ready for ro BHS bt" so soon after learning RO BHS (also a red flag) I'm guessing it's the first one. Also, not sure how they are coaching her but it should take years after the first ro BHS to be doing roundoff BHS bt with a young child (okay at least one year). Not that you don't do drills, but this kind of rushing skills instead of spending a long time with non spotting progressions that allow the child to orient themselves without interference will help alleviate a lot of these problems.

Will she do a standing BHS on track? If so, she should ask her coaches if she can do it standing. Then she should try to connect another BHS to her standing BHS. My kids do this drill daily. Always standing, then working up to a set of five. They do this for a long time before they do roundoff back handspring on floor. I work the BHS sets and then the roundoff by itself drills.

This is a vestibular problem. I would guess she is either very "bouncy" or elements has a problem in technique (like going very crooked on the roundoff) causing it to be scary for her to land on tramp. But as the coaches say "she is ready for ro BHS bt" so soon after learning RO BHS (also a red flag) I'm guessing it's the first one. Also, not sure how they are coaching her but it should take years after the first ro BHS to be doing roundoff BHS bt with a young child (okay at least one year). Not that you don't do drills, but this kind of rushing skills instead of spending a long time with non spotting progressions that allow the child to orient themselves without interference will help alleviate a lot of these problems.

Will she do a standing BHS on track? If so, she should ask her coaches if she can do it standing. Then she should try to connect another BHS to her standing BHS. My kids do this drill daily. Always standing, then working up to a set of five. They do this for a long time before they do roundoff back handspring on floor. II work the BHS sets and then the roundoff by itself drills.

She will do a standing bhs into the pit and on the floor but not the tumble track. At least I haven't seen her do one. That is what has me puzzled. She started doing it on our trampoline at home when she first did them. I don't think she is ready mentally to do any advanced tumbling besides robhs. I am happy for her because it was a goal she was determined to get. At 7 years old she has accomplished many skills already and I am so proud of her. She is xcel bronze so she doesn't really need her robhs for competition.

It could just be the wrong "feel". DD has some difficulties with the tumble team because of the extra bounciness. It throws off her timing and she feels out-of-control.

Or, did she see someone go off the side or afraid she will?
I'm not sure she just says she doesn't want to do it on the tumble track. As far as I know she hasn't seen anyone go off the side.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back