Salto Vault Progression

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

emacmommy

I'm looking for a video on the internet that, if my memory serves me right and often it doesn't, is used by either Britain, Ireland or Austalia as a developmental compulsory vault before what would be the equivalent of USAG Level 8/9 vaulting, but after USAG Level 6. I found this video earlier this summer, it's actually a drill, but it seemed that the girls in the video were competing it or being evaluated as part of a program.

The vault set up shown was a table vault, with the USAG Level 4 system turned sideways/block stacks behind it (they were red if that matters), and then a vault landing mat behind that. Depending on the salto vault they were working, they either Yurchenko'd, Handspring'd or Half'd on to the stack to their feet with excellent technique, then immediately punched to salto (frwd/bkwd depending) to stick on landing mats below. They then saluted the evaluators/judges. It seemed as if they were competing, but it could have been video of something similar to our tops program.

I love the progression drill. I showed it to my fellow coaches in the office and now I can't find the darn video anywhere. That's what I get for not saving it as a favorite. Anybody come across it?

Yeah! For some reason I remembered the vault being in there, but gues not. Not positive this is what I came across but close enough!!!!

Just out of curiosity is this used as a competition vault or is it just a training drill? and if it is Australia is it for the IDP program? Aussie Coach if you read this you may be able to clear this up for me

It is the UK.

Yes they are competition vaults. They have to do both versions of the vault I believe - both the yurchenko and handspring entry versions.

It is part of our compulsory level 2 grade (our elite track). Girls take this grade the calendar year they turn 11.

Our grades also include a range and conditioning set which is a 5th piece. Definitely encourages good form flexibility and strength.

I have seen the 5th set for range/conditioning. I think this is it here. Love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzZCxWGb9wo

It starts at about 3:22 in the video.

I was scouting this out because I'm the commitee chair for developing the Wyoming Prep Op program for this upcoming season, Jan - early May. Our goal is to improve competitive RETENTION and offering an alternative to those who have split sport commitments, we have a few gyms who will not allow even their higher level optionals to compete USAG if they can't attend all practices due to other sports.

I am going to propose including these vault progressions as a choice for our Intermediate (equivalent to USAG L6/L7) as an alternative to the neverending fronthandsprings. We definitely don't want to encourage salto vaults too soon for safety, but we want the girls/coaches to feel they can train saltos properly and safely and still have a competition vault besides the handspring. All gyms have a L4 vault system now, and a vault table... so why not. Our judges pool in Wyo, small population for a large state, is small enough that judge's education shouldn't be too difficult either.

I love alternatives we will have USAG L4 equivalents vaulting HS's with the L4 system turned width-ways as an option, a well loved drill in our gym. I'm also encouraging allowing stem rises and in bar kips with the bars set super close, which is difficult the way the sets are built now, to encourage working towards that elusive kips. So many girls hit that kip wall and drop out of USAG competitive, but even a so-so gymnast can eek out a stem rise. I feel this is a way those types of girls can feel positive about their progressions. I also like single taps that start on the low bar and finish on the low bar using correct shapes. Right now those things aren't in the JO Code of Points so can't be used in USAG, but why not Prep Op? If it can smoothly go into a routine, why not?

Saturday we hopefully have our final meeting to approve everything to publish to the rest of the gyms. Our first compulsory meet of the season is then too and when this compulsory season is over in December the gyms will then have the choice to continue to have their compulsories compete for JO mobility in the Compulsory Invitational season or choose to "work up" skills in a more laid back Prep Op. We've always competed our compulsories through to April, even though our Compulsory state is in Dec, but we always have six or so girls who's parent's choose not to compete because state championship is over. Practice usually gets boring for those girls, since there isn't any justification that they are preparing for competitions, and they eventually drop out and then try and come back months later. Several other gyms in the state don't do anything with their compulsory gymnasts after the Dec state as they focus all their attention on the Optionals. They also complain of team retention as their off season is soooo long.

Well, managed to hijack my own thread. Enjoy!

There are 6 different ones for different levels and ages. I will try and find examples of them all.

Grade 14 - Beginner level for girls who are 8 that year (also used for grade 13 the year after)

YouTube - Luna - Grade 14 Gymnastics Competition at 3.54
YouTube - olivia grade 13 short.mp4 at 3.21

National grades 8,7,6 and 5 for girls turning 10 and up
YouTube - Amber Jackson gymnast. National club grade 8. Range and conditioning
YouTube - Michelle Purves - Lasswade gymnastics club - (Part) National grade 8 conditioning set

some regions have their own R & C for elite track girls who are 8 that year instead of grade 14 called compulsory 5.
YouTube - Babybell Range and Conditioning - SE Regionals
YouTube - Janae Duporte-Clarke, 02-03-08, Range, Comp/level 5,Uk

compulsory grade 4 elite track for girls who are 9 that year
YouTube - Catherine Lyons - compulsory level 4 (2009) at 3.29
YouTube - Karen Goshen National Level 4, R&C (2nd place)

compulsory grade 3 elite track for girls who are 10 that year
YouTube - Catherine - Level 3 compulsory finals 2010 at 2.32

compulsory grade 2 elite track for girls who are 11 that year
'Cant find an example of this one. it is on a bench lol. Can anyone else find one on youtube?

espoirs elite track for girls who are 11 and 12 that year.
YouTube - wilts open 2010 aasha bars and range.wmv at 3.00
there were also some R & C espoir routines on BG TV but I couldn't find them today.

Hope that is helpful. Done well they are really lovely. They really show up any weak points in basics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back