Coaches Scoliosis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome causing hypermobility and some musculoskeletal issues, including a scoliosis. Its not particularly severe but the primary curve is high in my spine into my neck, meaning that it gives me badly slanted shoulders (one is 6cm higher than then other), and the secondary curve is lower down in my back.

Yesterday I was training DMT and the coach filmed me. In my run up I looked SO wonky and it really bothered me - it made the whole pass look weird. On my coaching courses we were told that people with scoliosis were contra-indicated for participating in the sport when we talked about ideal body types/shapes for 'talent identification'.

I suppose I've always had the attitude that I wasn't going to let my health issues get in the way of the sport that I love but I wanted to know if anyone had ever worked with a gymnast who had it but still got far I guess... I feel a bit like if my body in its normal state makes the passes and skills look wierd then what's the point in even doing it?!

I don't know, I have scoliosis (not severe enough to require medical intervention) and I can run fine. I'm pretty sure it didn't help me on beam though.

So what? And what would you be without the sport you love? Is that seriously the only reason you do gymnasics? So you can throw nice looking skills? Take a deep breath and a step backwards to look at the thing with a cool head. Gymnasts have gotten happy and succesful in the sport with more severe diseases than scoliosis.

Apart from that, do you remember the first time you heard your own voice? I for my part was horrified, asked myself how anyone could possibly listen to that voice all day long and was unaturally quiet for the next couple of weeks.

I recently read something that made me smile because it's so true:
"Often the big talents are not the ones who benefit most from gymnastics, but those who struggle."
Theo Landricher

What Redford said.

You're at uni, right? So honestly, do you have a real shot still at levels where the scoliosis will impact? If you still have dreams of elite then yes, you may have to rethink and readjust your goals significantly.

If you're doing it because you love it, it keeps you fit, you're progressing, having fun (and if I remember uni tramp club, that includes social events too!), then keep on doing that without worrying about the scoliosis.

On a side note, doing activities which need good core and back strength is only going to help your spine alignment?

What Redford said.

You're at uni, right? So honestly, do you have a real shot still at levels where the scoliosis will impact? If you still have dreams of elite then yes, you may have to rethink and readjust your goals significantly.

If you're doing it because you love it, it keeps you fit, you're progressing, having fun (and if I remember uni tramp club, that includes social events too!), then keep on doing that without worrying about the scoliosis.

On a side note, doing activities which need good core and back strength is only going to help your spine alignment?
Im at Uni and certainly too old for artistic gymnastics, but I'm in tramps and DMT, which is less limited by age. I don't have any crazy ideas about ever being 'elite' but I'd like to get to national level, and not necessarily COMPETING at national level, just JUMPING at national level, which here, at the moment, means 8 somis in a routine with a double.

iPad went weird and wouldn't let me continue the above post;

8somis with a double isn't unachievable for me in the next couple of years. I'm told that exercise/strengthening will do nothing to change it as it's structural not postural, unfortunately :(

I had a kid with scoliosis who spent several months in a straight jacket type brace..... 23 hours a day. She still did ok after the corrective work and physical therapy.

Contra-indicated???.......

UCLA's coach didn't have a problem with her scolio history.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back