WAG score of 4.5 on level 4 floor?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
I was going through meet scores and saw that one very laid back gym in my area had one girl score a 4.5 on floor in level 4. I'm curious what one would need to do to get such a low score. Forget the entire routine or just miss multiple skills?

If you don't do a skill, you lose double the skill value. I've seen gymnasts (usually who are having back tumbling blocks) skip the entire last tumbling pass. That's RO (0.4) + BHS (0.6) + BHS (0.6) x 2. They are down 3.2 points from that alone.

Starting from a 6.80 with sloppy everything else, it's rather easy to end up in the 4s.

Or of course, an injury part way through and stopping the routine, or forgetting half way through and running off the floor.

When DD had a BHS mental block in L4, she got 6.25. The rest of her routine was fine. But if you add a few more mistakes here and there, I guess you can get a 4. Now, why would a coach let a child compete with a block, and not just scratch the event, that I still don't understand, 2 years later. :)

I know a kid who just blanked 1/4 way through and left the floor. She scored a 2 something. Only happened once and she is an Ok gymmie. 1st meet of the season first timing blanking .

Reactions: sce
Not sure on floor, but one of DD's teammates fell on her beam cartwheel and was unable to finish her routine and got a score <5.

My kid got a 5 on beam before, 2 falls, very small leaps and jumps, a ton of wobbles and big balance checks. And she got a 5 on bars before, flew off the high bar and crashed into the low bar and couldn't finish the routine.

Injury=stopped routine=very low score.

Or you draw that one pommel judge we saw at regionals once who scored some poor kid's mushroom meltdown in the negative numbers.

We went a meet two years ago and witnessed a gym that had girls scoring in the 4's with no injuries or forgotten elements, it was just that bad. The first year we saw it, we were shocked thinking maybe they didn't know what they were getting into, but then when they came back the next year we were truly baffled.

Reactions: sce
Missed (as in not performed at all) skills or stopping the routine before completed (as in forget half of it and walk off the floor). It could happen.
Our gym is one of those that won't let a gymnast do an event unless all the skills are there. No spotting at meets, other than obviously if something disasterous is about to happen..! No BHS (for whatever reason)..? No floor, period. We do see some gyms at meets who spot their kids in L3 and L4 on skills such as BHS on floor or the squat on or kip on bars...

Adding: we once saw a whole team of super cute little gymmies compete L4 at a fairly big meet. Not one of them scored above a 6.xx on ANYTHING. Most of them were in the 4's and 5's. They skipped or were spotted on pretty much all he bigger skills. Not a single one of them could make it over the vault table on their own. Cute as buttons they were, but we were all wondering how come their club had them try to compete L4.... Some of them could have probably done L3 and had moderate success... None were ready for L4.

Adding: we once saw a whole team of super cute little gymmies compete L4 at a fairly big meet. Not one of them scored above a 6.xx on ANYTHING. Most of them were in the 4's and 5's. They skipped or were spotted on pretty much all he bigger skills. Not a single one of them could make it over the vault table on their own. Cute as buttons they were, but we were all wondering how come their club had them try to compete L4.... Some of them could have probably done L3 and had moderate success... None were ready for L4.
Sounds like the opposite of sandbagging.

It was really baffling. The whole team (parents happened to be sitting next to our team parents) got up and left as soon as the meet was over, didn't stay for awards. We were all being quite careful with our comments during the meet (obviously we weren't going to talk poorly about the kids!) and just exclaiming how cute they were etc but we ALL remember that team and how poorly prepared those poor little ones were....

It was really baffling. The whole team (parents happened to be sitting next to our team parents) got up and left as soon as the meet was over, didn't stay for awards. We were all being quite careful with our comments during the meet (obviously we weren't going to talk poorly about the kids!) and just exclaiming how cute they were etc but we ALL remember that team and how poorly prepared those poor little ones were....
Let me ask you, do you see gyms out there who compete their kids at higher levels as part of some strategy to promote younger kids competing at higher levels for some kind of status thing? (Which is kind of self-defeating if they don't have the skills to match)

Not routinely. We do have a couple of other gyms nearby who will allow kids to compete higher level than what the gymnast really has the skills for, I believe more to appease the parents... Look, little Suzie can be a L7 over here at Gym X even though she doesn't have her giant or BHS on beam.... Gym Z won't let her compete that level so off to Gym X we go so little Suzie can feel like she is progressing and we can say she's a L7..!
We also see gyms who routinely compete perfect CHS in L4/5 bar routines etc, so other end of the spectrum, lol!
Mostly, it's somewhere in between. Our gym doesn't sandbag at all, you compete the level you are proficient at but beginning of season may be a little rough. Nobody is held back to score big, but they have to be able to perform the routines safely. We do well at most meets around here but we aren't sweeping the podium either. :)

I truly think the gym mentioned above were a small, new gym and woefully ignorant about what they would be competing against. I don't really know how any USAG coach could be quite THAT snowed in but I'm guessing they just started up a team and the parents really wanted their little snowflakes to compete. Why L4 and not L2 or L3 is a mystery....

We have, on a couple occasions, had girls returning from injury do a dance thru on floor during an early season meet. They scored in the high 3s with no acro (old L5 and L6). The girls were both back to practicing everything except floor tumbling and the meet fees were already paid. They knew they would not score well (but it would leave them in the running for AA). The L5 took 1st on beam and was top 12 AA, so it was worth it for her. The L6 was also top 12AA, with 3rd on Beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back