WAG Scoring Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

happychaos

Proud Parent
For (new) L4 bars my DD cannot yet connect a kip and a horizontal cast. She can kip, pause, horizontal cast, OR kip, connected to very small cast. Which would score better? Is the deduction for a pause greater or less than the deduction for failing to reach horizontal? Hopefully it will come together before her first meet, since this applies on both the high and low bar....

who cares? eventually she'll get it right. that's what you want to promote with your daughter. we don't do things in gymnastics "less bad". it's either correct or incorrect. :)

My DD had this same problem in old L5. For the first couple of meets it was either kip pause and hit the cast requirement or connect but not get high enough. Either way she would score in the 8s. By the end of the season she had it together and was even 4th at state!

My DD had this same problem in old L5. For the first couple of meets it was either kip pause and hit the cast requirement or connect but not get high enough. Either way she would score in the 8s. By the end of the season she had it together and was even 4th at state!
I used to live in Rexburg, and loved coming into Idaho Falls (I-F, as we called it) to go to the mall. Beautiful part of the state!

DD's coaches always said it's better to connect and do a cast that wasn't quite to requirement than to have pauses. Eventually, they'll get it though.

My DD has this same issue with step 5 (NZ system), but there is no connection value. She doesn't completely stop still after her kip, so she gets penalised 0.5 for an 'extra swing', but if she doesn't get the cast to horizontal she loses 0.5 off her D score so for her it is kind of the same either way. I'd like her to learn to connect them, but I don't think her kip is strong enough yet.

My DD has this same issue with step 5 (NZ system), but there is no connection value. She doesn't completely stop still after her kip, so she gets penalised 0.5 for an 'extra swing', but if she doesn't get the cast to horizontal she loses 0.5 off her D score so for her it is kind of the same either way. I'd like her to learn to connect them, but I don't think her kip is strong enough yet.

If she can finish the kip and hold her feet under the bar, then cast from that position she wont get the extra swing deduction... because there wont be an extra swing.

If she can finish the kip and hold her feet under the bar, then cast from that position she wont get the extra swing deduction... because there wont be an extra swing.

She doesn't stop totally still, her legs swing out a bit like she is going to go into a cast, but she doesn't actually cast, so it looks like a little swing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back