Parents scoring question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gympops

Proud Parent
Hello,

I'm hoping to gain some insight on a confusing situation that happened to my dd this past weekend. She was competing in a large meet in PA this past weekend. She is a L8. Her scores were very good on all other events except Vault. Oddly enough it was the first event that her team started on. ANYWAY.....she competes a piked yurachenko usually but on this day she did a yurachenko and it was tucked....however it was still done well....her run was slightly funky, but she got good height landed both times with only one step. A yurachenko tucked has a 9.8 start value I believe....yet she received an 8.1! Even counting the deductions we could think of we still came to an 8.9 - 9.2, depending on subjectivity. We couldn't believe it....I could not figure out where 1.7 in deductions came from. I found out she did not pike it because the table was slippery and her hands slid both times...

What made matters worse, was that as the meet went on there were kids doing Handspring vaults that were getting higher scores.....I think I saw at least 5 kids do handspring vaults....I also saw two kids do yurachenko's and fall on both tries....and then scored better? Can anyone provide insight? I feel like it almost was a judging error....lol.....

"Oddly enough it was the first event that her team started on"

Not an expert, but I've seen my share of funky low scores on the first event of a meet - judges sometimes tend to start low and get higher as the meet progresses. I am sure some judges will disagree with me on this though....

You can account for approximately 1.1 in deductions. Is that counting the hand slip? If her hands did slip, her angle of repulsion was probably affected. This deduction can be quite large and if she arched on the vault table, that's another BIG one. I learned about these deductions the hard way. Talk about shock whenever you see a consistent mid-high 8 vaulter score 7.25 in a championship. My heart sunk for her!!!

OK.....I did not count that! Drove me crazy....she had been scoring 8.9 on average consistently and then propelled to a 9.450 in a meet in December! It was the last event we were worried about....then when that happened we couldn't believe it....especially after seeing handspring vaults and falls scoring better....I'm not trying to insult anyone who may be doing a handspring vault, I was just surprised given the level of difficulty within the skill! thank you for your insight. That does make sense.

I dont understand the scoring. I have watched a girl on my daughters level 3 team (she got booted to level 2 (new level 3) while the rest of her team moved up to level 3(new level 4), anyway, she forgot the 2nd half of her floor routine, while my daughter just finished a tad short of music end, and that girl recieved a higher score! I swear last year all of the judges had it in for my daughter lol.

Would have to see a video to say for sure but if her hands moved on the table but she still managed to pull it around I would expect a pretty low score.

No insight into where your DD's deductions came from, but an L8 can do a handspring vault and still score higher than a poorly executed yurchenko or tsuk. At one meet this season, I saw some handsprings scoring 8.5 and 8.6. Handsprings in L8 start out of a 9.0. Some of the yurchenkos were scoring in the low 8s.

"Oddly enough it was the first event that her team started on"

Not an expert, but I've seen my share of funky low scores on the first event of a meet - judges sometimes tend to start low and get higher as the meet progresses. I am sure some judges will disagree with me on this though....

not necessarily...if the judges are doing their job. My dd just competed her tucked yurchenko at L8. She was the very first kid of the session to vault. Won 1st place in her age group out of 16 kids. My ds also was first up on pommel at regionals last year, and his score held through the entire session to win him 1st on pommel. I guess I think if they are judging the way they are taught, It doesn't matter if you go first or last...you will be judged according to the standards.

I not absolutely certain, but the last time I checked there were about 15 different deductions, not including taking steps or hops on the landing. Some of these aren't easily recognized by, well...... you know, regular people, and can measure in the .3 range. Figure just two of those gets you closer to the 9.0 she didn't get.

You mentioned she usually competes a pike Yurchenko, but on this day did a tuck. If she started her run intending to do a pike then she changed to a tuck to cover for some deficit. The same holds true if she didn't do well during warm-ups and it was decided to use a tuck.

I don't know if this still applies, but there was a time when a gymnast would get heavily deducted if she signaled one vault but did another. The judges like to know what they're about to see.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back