WAG Seeking advice for tangled hair

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
My DD wakes up every morning with a complete rats nest that takes more time than she/we have to brush out. It isn't super long, but long enough to bun for meets. We keep it trimmed, condition it regularly, but it still practically dreads over night.

School starts this week and with less than 12 hours between gym end and school start, I'm looking for hair short-cuts! Any suggestions as to how to have a kid wake up without tangles? Or product suggestions to make it easier?

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick braid responses-- I just braided DDs hair and she is off to bed! Do you all braid it to keep it in braids the next day or just take the braids out in the AM? Worried the braids will kind of slap her in the face tumbling. Maybe I need to do one long braid that I can put in a bun in the AM?

One of my girls has straight hair, but also wakes up with a zillion tangles and when she brushes it, it makes this alarming "ripping" sound. My mom told me about this thing they used to do, to use vinegar in their hair. It sounds weird, but we tried it and the difference was dramatic. Her hair went from having a course, straw-like feel to silky soft. She was talking about it all day, and this is a kid who usually couldn't care less about any aspect of her appearance.

I think you are supposed to use some dilution of apple cider vinegar, but I just poured white vinegar right on her head straight from the bottle. She did kind of smell like a salad all day, but the effect has lasted so it was worth one faintly stinky day.

A word of caution, don't do this if she has any cuts or scrapes, as the vinegar will really make them sting.

Btw, I think my daughter's hair got like this because she has been swimming daily in a chlorinated pool. I also noticed in summer my hair texture gets rough. I don't know for sure, but it seems to be the chlorine. Vinegar worked far better than any conditioner I tried.

Both of my daughters have long straight hair that tangled up at night. I got them satin pillowcases and it made a world of difference. Plus, they feel cool and nice on their face at night. I got them for approx. $2 at Target.

My dd has waist length thick hair which manages to tangle a bit even in a braid! I use a lot of conditioner in her hair, and always braid it at night. Then in the morning I brush it out and re-braid it. She doesn't really tumble yet, and for gym she is fine with one or two braids. I find the dutch style braids hold her hair more neatly than other types. I second the wet brush - dd says it is better than the tangle teezer.

Spray in, leave in detangler in the am
and/or braid at night.

Reactions: sce
Silicon. I know it's unfashionable in products, but a spray with dimethicone, and oil such as organ oil or coconut oil. Spray through hair and comb through.

I just got a tangle teaser and I prefer a wide toothed wet comb. I don't know what a wet brush is, yet.

Have to plait it at night. Besides it becoming impossibly dreadlocked, it tends to attempt strangulation otherwise.

We sometimes do a braid at night but most of the time, I spray detangler on it and use the "wet brush" to just brush through the tangles. My dd has Curley thin hair and looks like Albert Einstein when she wakes up but after the detangler & wet brush, you'd never know!!

My daughter has SUPER long, curly hair. Here's the key: Condition first on dry hair. Let her play in the shower or bath and then rinse, wash and condition again. Comb with the conditioner in and then rinse. Braid at night. Argon oil between washes. Coconut oil works too but I'm not a fan of the smell. Also, we don't wash daily - it can strip the hair and make it harder to comb.

Vinegar strips the hair - good for a once in a while treatment to remove product build-up, not good on a frequent basis. Coconut oil seems to be a really good leave-in conditioner that should help with removing any tangles. I double-check the Wet Brush. Love that sucker.

Another vote for braiding and the wet brush. I braid DD's hair at night then usually put it in a pony or something for school off her face. For gym it's usually a pony or a braided pony.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back