Should I quit gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastbecki

Coach
Gymnast
I'm 16 now and I have another 2 years left where I could continue to do Gymnastics and I use to love it!! I use to love going and I couldn't wait but now sometimes it feels like a burden to go! It feels like I have lost all motivation to do gymnastics anymore!

However I feel that if I quit I will regret it! Recently I have not been having a good time in the gym because I have lost some skills and I have been getting injured!

Do you think I should continue? I can't imagine my life without it but I'm not sure what to do!

Personally, I'd wait for a little and see if you start to enjoy it again or not; here's why:

I spent my entire junior year of high school in a walking boot so I didn't compete that year and I competed in only 2 meets my senior year. There were times where I was beyond frustrated about not being able to do anything due to injury (I had a torn tendon junior year and senior year I was recovering from finally having surgery on it) and there were often times when I didn't want to go to practice, but I buckled down, drove myself there and made it work anyway. I still do gymnastics to this day at college in our NAIGC club and love it. I even had a second surgery 2 months ago and I'm still kicking.

I lost a lot of skills along the way because I couldn't train and I even lost skills that I could train. Use the frustration to power your determination to get better. Figure out what happened, take a step back to the basics, and work your way back up to the skill. The joy of finally doing it again is worth it (in my opinion).

For me, I need gymnastics to define who I am and I don't know what I'm going to do without it. I know I'd regret it if I ever gave it up.

No one can tell you if you should quit gymnastics or not, only you can decide that for yourself. For me, gymnastics is everything, for others it's just a side passion. For me it's worth it to keep fighting, for others it's not worth it and they choose to do something else.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

You said you'd regret it if you quit, that to me would mean you're going through a rough patch in your career which will go away with determination. It happened to me a while ago. Stick with it, you'll get the fire back soon.

Been there girl, gymnastic slumps are the worst. You know when you just don't feel like running, you don't want to condition, you just want to cry every practice because you're falling on all the basic skills. But the key word is that it's a slump, which means you climb out of it and move on. It happens to the best of us, but how we act in the moment is what defines our career or journey. If you know there is a possibility you'll regret it, you will. In 10 years you probably won't be able to do gymnastics so take advantage of the little time left you have. Don't lose your confidence, you just have to get your confidence back. And if you really want to quit, don't make the decision on a whim. Really weigh out your pros and cons and try to make a decision that will benefit you in the long run.

Good luck!

Don't let a temporary feeling make a permanent decision. You need to go with your gut. Maybe take a week or two off. See what it's like. I hated gym this whole year, mostly due to injury. However I love it again and want to be in the gym. Only you can make the decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back