WAG Size 7/8 mature almost 10 yo - where to shop?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
Hi all!

My almost ten year old has recently grown into a size 7/8. Most of these clothes are too "cutesy" for her. She is a pretty serious kid and shirts with teddy bears and hearts just don't seem right for her anymore.

Anyone have suggestions for where to buy clothing for small, but older/mature kids? Street clothes, not gym clothes. Especially online?

Thanks!

My daughter is tiny as well (she's 10) and has recently started liking Abercrombie Kids clothing. They run smaller (so they actually fit!) and aren't as young looking (though at times they try to sell things I don't find appropriate for her age). That ended up being the only store we could find jeans for her - she's got long legs but very, very thin. Abercrombie tends to look "painted on" because their pants are so tight but that worked wonderfully for her since she needed a slim fitting jean. They recently started carrying clothes down to size 3 (I think) and is wonderful for my son as well. He's a similar body type and doesn't want to wear dinosaurs and puppies anymore.

My daughter is 10 and this size also. She won't wear jeans unless forced so she mostly sticks to leggings. We get those at Justice or Target (plus I don't have to worry about the waist size since they are tight) and then she wears T-shirts and sweatshirts with them. She likes the gymnastics shirts from Justice but most of those come from gymnastics meets. (Think the "This girl is on Fire" type T-shirts they all own) she really likes Roxy or Billabong girls (if you don't live near the beach they are online) shirts and zip up sweatshirts too. We have such a problem finding things that aren't made for hugely built girls as well. (She's only in the 50's for weight). This is why she likes the Roxy or Billabong *girl* T-shirts b/c they are cut smaller.

My girl is this size and will be 10 in Jan. She doesn't do cutesy.

Kohls, Target, Justice, Children's Place, Old Navy.

She lives in skinny jeans and tee's.

I agree with Abercrombie as well. My dd is a size 8 and a very serious 11 year old. Refuses anything cutesy or too girly. Jeans are always a nightmare, but theirs fit pretty well.

We actually buy a lot of clothes as Nordstrom. They are local here and I don't think everywhere, but They sell online and have a great return policy. I often order five things online and return three of them, no questions, no charge.

They definitely have a more refined look in smaller clothes. Lots of really cool athletic wear too, which my dd loves, even for school. Zilla and Aviva are great brands for a special piece if that is her thing.

They are a bit more spendy but not really that much more, especially if you get things on clearance. Some things are a lot more, but most are in line with stores like Abercrombie.

My dd just knows she can have the better clothes, just less of them or more of the cheap stuff. She actually does a pretty good job of balancing. She will buy cheaper basics and then get jeans and stylish pieces at Nordstrom.

I heard Abercrombie was going to hault the kids line. Anyone else hear anything about that?

Hi all!

My almost ten year old has recently grown into a size 7/8. Most of these clothes are too "cutesy" for her. She is a pretty serious kid and shirts with teddy bears and hearts just don't seem right for her anymore.

Anyone have suggestions for where to buy clothing for small, but older/mature kids? Street clothes, not gym clothes. Especially online?

Thanks!
Justice.
http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-clothing/now-trending/outfits

Also, you can definitely find some great stuff at Target.

My my 2 DD's that have outgrown the "cutesy" stage like clothes from Buckle. They have a nice selection of kid clothes. A little spendy, but quality is always a plus in my book. Of course I have 3 daughters, so I can use a pair of jeans for many many years!

You can also check out Kohls. My only issue there is that they seem to go from cutesy to too mature. But there are also some appropriate items for an older girl.

Been dealing with this issue for years. My 15 year old is now wearing a size 12. Neither of my girls were into the teddybear/hearts/sparkle... All of the stores above have been good. Also check out H&M's kid department, they use European sizing which makes it easier to find clothes that fit but look age appropriate. We've also had good luck with Macy's as their children's department is bigger so it tends to have more of a variety of styles. Crazy 8's jeans worked well and we were able to find shirts there occasionally. Gap (especially their outlets) had slightly more mature styles. Children's Place was a good place to pick up basics. We ignored the prints for the most part but even last summer, the 15 year old picked out a romper there.

Have you tried p.s.Kids? (Aeropostale's kids line)

The tops tend to be slimmer cut (good for my long slim DD), plus they also have official "slim" sizing in many of the pant choices.

Some tops are still 'cutesy' but many are more mature.

Retail prices are on the higher side, but sale prices are quite good for the quality.

This has been a problem for my DD too. She is 13 and just started wearing size 10/12. "Why does this shirt have to have a heart on it!?" - every single time we shop. She is also very picky and won't wear clothes from Old Navy or Target because too many others in her school will have the same clothes. We've had luck at H&M, JC Penney, Nordstrom, Ivivva and Von Maur (regional mid-America department store with a great selection of chic kids clothes and they have a website).

Same boat. My 10 year is just now getting into size 7/8. We actually just shopped this past weekend. She picked a lot of Champion spandex leggings pants from Target and then shirt mostly, Under Armour from Sports Authority.

My nine year old (almost 10) is just getting into size sevens. We do lots of lands end, LL Bean type stuff. She also likes Mini boden, tea, polo, vineyard vines. Old navy is also a good place to find basics. :) Luckily she goes to a uniform school so she generally lives in her school uniform, a leo, and activewear!

Same boat. My 10 year is just now getting into size 7/8. We actually just shopped this past weekend. She picked a lot of Champion spandex leggings pants from Target and then shirt mostly, Under Armour from Sports Authority.
Oh ya, my dd loves the Champion leggings form Target.

We pretty much stick with Abercrombie kids or Gap. At Abercrombie we have to watch necklines though. I also don't let her buy anything without straps. Cracks me up that they have strapless stuff for little kids. :)

Most of dd's tops came from Justice at that age because we could get fashionable clothes in the smaller sizes. Still, a lot of their clothes had things dd didn't like - hearts, all pink/purple, peace sign, etc. We also shopped consignment stores and sales (we have some huge ones in our area) that allowed her to go through lots of different brands in one place.

Oh I SO get all these comments. Mine recently turned 8. Um...the toddler stuff is soooo not it for her....:mad:
We are struggling also. Luckily it's winter, and turtlenecks are generic....;)

Try Arizona at JCPenney! Yes, they have all the cliche' stuff, but they also have some really cute tween stuff. Sometimes, you can catch stuff at Justice that's not terribly cheesy. Dd cannot wear blue jeans anymore at all! Leggings and long shirts and sweaters for another winter.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back