WAG skills and long torso

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

emorymom

Proud Parent
I read recently on CB that the straddle press handstand is much more difficult for gymnasts with a long torso.

What other skills has anyone noticed, are particularly affected by having a long torso? And do you have any training tips to overcome that challenge, or specific areas to condition?

My daughter has a crazy long torso. I feel sorry for her when she gets older and needs to buy a dress for a dance. :) She conditions a ton at her gym. I think she has to work harder than some of her friends with shorter torsos, but she's able to do straddle press handstands consistently now. I think it just takes a lot more core strength for her body type. Good luck!

Hmm, I had never heard that about presses. My daughter is small, but has a long torso and short legs and arms and has never had an issue with presses. I always thought long legs made it harder to press.

My daughter has a long torso and very short legs. She's only 5'1" but she's as tall as her 5'11" dad sitting down. Buying a formal stress was very hard. She had to go with a short dress because her legs were too short for a long dress. lol. She's never been able to do a press, but I never attributed it to her torso length. Interesting.

Sent from my MB855 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I am the same way. I have short legs and a super long torso while having a very muscular build. I can do a press and press down to straddle l-sit, but pressing up is very difficult for me.

Cast handstands (straight or straddle) are both a big challenge for me.

Well I can say, I have a short torso and super long legs and a press handstand and stomach/leg condition is just as hard for me!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back