Parents skills and when to compete

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As it is only August and our first meet isn't until November, I am deciding with the coaches help as to when each daughter should begin the season.
Oldest-has her level 4 beam routine down, vault is looking much better, she has bars(little weak on front hip but can do it, but is struggling with the dismount), and floor-beautiful routine until the ROBHS. She is once again scared. She grew an inch and it got thrown off. UGH Do you think she will be ready by November? I am thinking yes.

Youngest-level 3- bars as always for her looks great, vault is getting there, beam is good except for the side handstand dismount. She is not holding it. She is cartwheeling off. LOL. Floor-has it all accept the bridge walkover. I am debating waiting until Januaury for her. She wants to compete but isn't looking really strong yet. She just doesn't look as polished as her sister.

Your oldest will be fine. RO BHS is one of those things that some struggle with and get it and lose it and get it and lose it again. My older DD would do a beautiful one at a meet and then the very next week at a meet...fall on her head! And she still finished the season finishing in th high 35's or low 36's. In fact this year she is training L5 and it is the same thing with the RO 2BHS. One day...it will look ok (not beautiful) and the next day it looks like she is doing it in slow motion and practically falls on her head!:rolleyes:

I would think your youngest would be fine too. She's still got 3 months to pick up those skills.

We are going through the same thing...our girls have to get a qualifying in-gym score to get to go to our 2 fall meets. Older DD will not make the 1st fall meet but may make the 2nd. Younger DD is not going to make either...she still has many skills to pick up and I worry about her competing in January! I just keep tellling myself that she still has 4 months. Gulp.:eek:

Good luck to both of them. Sounds like they are both close and even if they are not perfect that they still could have good performances!

DD is uptraining from L3 to L4. I think the plan is to wait until very close to our first meet (also November) to decide if to move her up for the meet or let her compete L3 again. At our gym girls are moved when ready, no matter what time of year. So if she competes L3 in November, but is then ready for L4 in February, she'll move then. Our gym isn't trying to get them "perfect" before they compete - but because we have to travel so far for meets and it's expensive, she wants it to be a good experience for the girls. So she won't compete anyone who is really, really out of their depth. We usually have an in-gym competition in December, and if DD doesn't get to compete L4 in November, she will more than likely try to compete L4 at the in-gym meet, because that is so much less pressure than competing in an outside meet.

It depends on why you have them competitng are you just doing it to win or so that they can have fun and enjoy competing? Honestly early in the season the skills you mentioned are the ones most all the kids struggle with, so they would most likely be comparable, and they seem close to getting them so it shouldn't be an issue. But if you are just doing this to see them win 1st on everything, I guess wait.

Older daughter sounds right about where a LOT of our 4's are right now on bars. I would be cautiously concerned about the robhs. Do you think the pressure of competing it will add to her fear of the skill?

We require a pretty decent kickover to get into the level 3 training group so I personally haven't seen any kids who can do a good level 3 bar routine and not a kickover. I would have to think most any kids strong enough for a good level 3 bar routine, easily strong enough for a bridge kickover.

Would depend somewhat on what other kids in your area look like at these levels. I do think it is important for the kids to be "in the mix", and at least have a chance at awards. Your coaches should be able to guide you in that regard. Good luck whichever you decide!

Youngest is very tight in her shoulders which is hindering the kick over. She is a powerhouse on bars. Always has high 9's when she competes. She is very strong! She is getting closer to getting the kick over, but has yet to do it by herself even on a cheese mat.
Oldest was throwing ROBHS this summer. She knows she needs it. She grew and inch and said they felt funny. I don't want her stressed about it. I want her to get it and do it since we know she can. She will throw them on the tumble track without a spot. She will do the standing back handspring on the floor without a spot. She just won't do it now. Bars are really looking better. :) Beam is beautiful and so is floor until the ROBHS.
Oh, and competiting is not to win, but to enjoy the experience and to show what they have learned. I don't won't either little one to be embarrassed or feel pressure about a skill.
Thanks for the advice!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back