Skipping a level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymnastMom01

Hello,
my daughter is 8 year old and this is her first year and she is on level 4. She has her kip and tucks too. She has most of level 6 skills. Can she skip level 5? If yes, how does that work..does she have to test out of 5 or compete and get a certain AA score?

Thank you for you help!

Welcome to the CB! You will find this a great place to learn!

Is there a specific reason you want her to skip level 5? Have her coaches approached you about skipping level 5? How has she done at level 4? Does she have really strong bars? The kip is just a tiny part of the level 6 bar routine.

Yes, you can score out of level 5. You need to get a 31.00AA at one meet to "score out".

That said, it is pretty common for gymnasts to uptrain and have skills above their level, my daughter is a 7 year old level 4 and has many level 6 skills she works on and has, even works on level 7 skills. Doesn't mean she is ready to compete level 6 or 7. Judging at level 5 is tougher than at level 4 and level 6 is even more tough than level 5.

I guess it depends on what you want your kid to get from competing as well. My DD is a 2nd year level 4. She competed her first year as a 6 year old and it was tough for her. She never medaled, was just getting into the 8s by the end of her first season. This year she had a chance to really shine and has gotten 9s on all events. It has been great for her confidence. She had a lot of her level 5 skills before she started her 2nd year of level 4, but she would have struggled with level 5 all year, for what purpose?? At her old gym she actually would have competed level 5 and I saw how hard it was on her teammates, so glad she didn't do that.

Gymnastics, for most gymnasts, should be a marathon, not a sprint. You will see it said many times here.

Also, I think is actually more common to do time at level 5 and "score out" of level 6 because of tough judging, though that might be going out now since level 7 judging seems to have higher standards now.

USAG rules require you to compete at least one meet at each level to achieve a qualifying score before moving to the next level.

You do need to score of level 5. Level 4, although commonly competitive, is exempt from this because level 5 had been the true first competitive level for a long time. That's not so anymore, but the score thing has still remained so kids can just enter in 5. You do need to get a 31 to move from 5 to 6. But many gyms have much, much, much more stringent qualifications to skip or move up a level.

GymnasticsMom01, first of all, welcome!

Now, as for your question, I'm confused on why your question is posted here. I would imagine that to be a discussion between you and her coach(es). In any good gym, when a gymnast is ready to advance, a coach would be more than eager to approach the parent regarding mobility of the gymnast. I would suggest setting a meeting with the coach(es) to discuss all the possibilities.

Not every kid completes a full season in each compulsory level. Pickle's gym has a fast track program for kids who are really focussed on training to elite status and just aren't spending time polishing compulsory routines. They train 16-20 hours per week and work really hard. These girls are great. Really, they are beautiful to watch. But at age 8, it is all about potential. Any one of those girls could drop out due to injury, the way their body grows, or just losing interest. So I would only recommend it for the child who is "that" good. Because the truth is they are very focused on a goal that some may not achieve.

For kids like mine (who are good gymnasts but aren't aiming to be elite), I've actually been told that the L5 year (or years) can be more important than L6. I guess it depends on the program, but at many gyms, that's where you really start the advanced forms and sequences that the rest of gymnastics is built on. If fact, some gyms have very limited L6 programs, preferring to get kids more quickly from L5 to optionals where they can build routines that are more geared towards that child's individual strengths (and really, what gymnast doesn't look forward to getting her own floor music). I'm sure that many coaches and parents on here will disagree with me.

If fact, some gyms have very limited L6 programs, preferring to get kids more quickly from L5 to optionals where they can build routines that are more geared towards that child's individual strengths (and really, what gymnast doesn't look forward to getting her own floor music). I'm sure that many coaches and parents on here will disagree with me.
I think with the new optional scoring rules that were put in place this year, this trend (although rarely seen in our gym) of scoring out L6 is changing. In general, gymnasts who used to be able to come away with decent scores at L7 without spending much time at L6 are now getting killed this year. I'm talking about a drop up to 1.0 to 1.5 on one or more of the events. Of course, there are a few who are just naturals to handle anything that's thrown at them, none of whom I'm related to.

Fast track......... But at age 8, it is all about potential. Any one of those girls could drop out due to injury, the way their body grows, or just losing interest. So I would only recommend it for the child who is "that" good. Because the truth is they are very focused on a goal that some may not achieve.

quote]

I really like the way you have put this. I don't think I have seen it put better. I shall be watching for more words of wisdom now from you! lol!:D

Hi, and welcome.

In USAG, she can't "skip" a level. She has to compete at least once in each level before progressing. 'Technically' up to the athlete as to when to progress. The caveot is that her coach may not agree and has the option to refuse training for things they feel she isn't ready to do. A good coach would never risk an athletes safety for advancement.

But really - I don't see many advantages to skipping levels. It's awesome that she has her kip, but think of this as the "bow" that wraps up the entire package. L5 continues to teach and refine skills, strength, saftey, body shape, presentation, connections, flexability, etc. The whole package.

The end result is a strong gymnast and competitor in each level.

Advancing faster certainly intruduces more challenges and has the potential to increase the fun - but only to a small extent. It also means being away from her friends, increase both time and committment to do well in both gym AND school, increases your gym costs, time and travel, and could very welll result in scoring lower at competitions. Less podium time = tears, dissappointment, and frustration. If you remove the fun - what's the point?

I know exactly how you feel.
Bottom line: Trust your coaches judgement.

Edit: Just a suggestion - you can always add tumble classes! My DD does team AND tumble. The tumble is strictly for fun.

Last edited:
SECTION I
REQUIREMENTS FOR LEVEL ELIGIBILITY & ADVANCEMENT
I. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND MOBILITY SCORES OVERVIEW
Level Minimum Age
Requirement
Pre-requisite
Scores
Previous
Experience
Suggested Age
Divisions
Mobility Score to Advance
to the Next Level

I – 4
L. 1 & 2 -

Reached 4

th

birthday
L. 3 - Reached 5

th

birthday
L. 4 - Reached 6

th

birthday
None Children 4-5 (L. 1 & 2 only)
5 (L.3 only)
6-8
9-11
Junior/Senior 12 & up
None
Reached 7

th

birthday
75% proficiency at
Level
1-4 on Vault, Bars,
Beam, Floor
Level 5 or 6* Children 7 - 8
9 –11
Junior/Senior 12 & up
31.00 AA at Level 5

Reached 7th

birthday
31.00 AA at Level
Level 6 or 7* Children 7 - 11
Juniors 12 - 14
Senior 15 & up
31.00 AA at Level 6

Reached 7th

birthday
31.00 AA at Level 6 Level 7 or 8* Children 7 - 11
Juniors 12 - 14
Senior 15 & up
31.00 AA at Level 7

Reached 8th

birthday
31.00 AA at Level 7 Level 8 or 9* Juniors 8 - 11
12 - 13
Senior 14 - 15
16 & up
34.00 AA at Level 8
Reached 8

th

birthday
34.00 AA at Level 8 Level 9 or 10* To be determined in March
8 Junior Divisions
8 Senior Divisions
34.00 AA at Level 9 to move to
Level 10
Reached 9

th

birthday
34.00 AA at Level 9 Level 10 or
Elite*
To be determined in March
4 Junior Divisions
4 Senior Divisions

None

3. Athletes may not skip any level. They must advance one level at a time by scoring the minimum mobility score at any​
USA Gymnastics sanctioned competition (Exception: Levels 1- 4 do not have a mobility score)

Last edited by a moderator:
NotAMom - Thanks for that insight. Since Pickle is only in L4, I'm still figuring things out. We had our Compulsory Sectionals this weekend. In L4 and L5 there were 12 gyms competing. In L6, there were only 7. Some of the gyms that weren't competing L6 do have very successful Optionals programs (producing some of the best gymnasts in the state). It will be interesting to see if they start having more of a focus on L6 now. I'll have to wait until next year's Sectionals to see.

Gymnut1 - I like your posts too. I lurked for months and months before I actually joined as a member and I've learned so much from all of you.

I will just give you my situation to consider. I have two daughters that compete. They started L4 at the ages of 7 and 8. My 8 yr old had a great first year scoring 38's by the end of the season. She had all her L7 tricks so we (parents, coaches, daughter) decided to go for L7 the following season as a 9 yr old. She did one meet at L5 and 3 at L6 then went right to L7. Her first L7 year was rocky. She had lost a lot of her confidence. She did 2 more full years as a 7 (taking 3rd at states last year). This year she was set to do L8 but hasn't really felt ready to compete and only did 2 unsuccessful meets.
My younger daughter did one full year as L4, did so so. One full year at L5, did so so. Then half a year of 6 then 7. She actually did a L8 meet last year well before her sister was ready.
I guess in my opinion (now anyway), what's the rush? The other girls that my daughter started out with as L4 are either gone or also doing L8. It didn't really help her any to move so fast. In fact it may have hurt her confidence.
Every kid is different and your child may do just fine, but with a sport like this may need to win sometimes to feel the desire to keep trying.
Good luck to you and your daughter, be sure to discuss in detail with your coaches.

PS She would have loved to do a full year at L6 but our gym didn't really compete it at that time.

I can attest to what sportyfam5 said. Not that I know her in person but I have observed similar situations over the years. My now 13yo started L4 6 years ago along with several girls close to her age who took the "fast track" (some at our gym and others at another across town). Now years later, a portion of these kids have quit after discouraging optional seasons. Amongst the ones who stay, my daughter has caught up (in level and scores) with all but one, who's enjoying lots of success at L9.

By going at a "slow" pace (repeated L4, L6 and L7), she is able to enjoy the progress and occasional success under little or no pressure. In fact, it was her choice to repeat L7 for a year and it turns out to be a good one. In parallel to her gymnastics years, she has had a chance to do other competitive sports and activities (which incidentally allows her to use different joints and muscles - a side health benefit). At this progression rate, it is still possible for her to reach L9/10 by her senior year, which is a huge accomplishment by any measure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back