Parents Slow start in gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flygirls2

Proud Parent
Hi everyone!

I just joined this website specifically to get advice on this issue. Hopefully some of you seasoned gym moms will know what to do!

I have never been in gymnastics. I was a swimmer. My daughter has been participating in team gymnastics at her school for three years(K, 1st and 2nd grades). She's now starting her 4th year as a 3rd grader. She's 7 years old.

She loves gymnastics. They mostly do tumbling and pyramids on her team. This year - her coach wouldn't let her advance to the next level and told her she's already behind where she should be. She came out in tears and wanted to quit. I told her we were going to finish this thing and if after this semester she wants to try something else- ok. But we're not going to quit, we're going to work hard at home and give it our best shot first. (Just want her to learn the value of 'not giving up'. She'd forever regret it if she gave up something she loved without trying first)

I feel this is mostly my fault because I never had her practice at home(apparently other kids had parents who were gymnasts and they helped them at home). We've been working hard recently on learning the tumbling skills her coach wants her to learn. We've watched videos, printed tips and I have learned a lot. We've been working everyday on it. She is highly motivated now and doesn't want to quit when we practice. She's improved a lot just in the few weeks we've been working on it. She's really proud of herself and determined.

So my question is this-- my daughter is tall and lean. I understand gymnasts tend to be shorter and more muscular. Do the tall/lean types take longer to catch on? Anyone have a child who started out slow, but once they got it they 'got it'? I want her to finish this session up, but if this is just something that isn't meant for her - I don't want her to miss the opportunity to truly excel at another sport because we're so focused on the gymnastics.

I really think she is capable. I don't think she really had a the maturity to buckle down and focus until recently. She was too easily distracted and really didn't do what the coach had asked in the past.

Thanks for any tips!

I don't think it is a great idea to work on tumbling at home but I am glad that she has become more focussed and is making progress. Have you been back to ask the coach where she is and what she needs.

I don't think body type relate to the speed they pick up skills. That is more to do with strength and coordination. Some kids pick up skills really fast and then scare themselves because they haven't got their heads round the move yet. Others pick them up slower but they do arrive they are more solid and look nicer.

Way too early for you to worry too much. Withy daughter and lots of her teammates things started to really click around age 8/9. Pull-ups, splits handstands are good to work on at home. You are right, some of the early bloomers were the ones whose parents had them do a lot of them at home. And a couple of them were having nagging type injuries at age 8/9. I think cartwheels, handstands, walkovers (not too many of those) are ok at home. No back handsprings allowed at home, good way to crack a bone..

I agree with Midwestmommy that things normally start to "click" at around age 8, some earlier and some later. They just seem to get a little more body control at that age. I also agree that you shouldn't do too many tricks at home. My dd is told not to do any gymnastics outside the gym, but strength training can always help! My dd is also tall and lean, yet very strong, and does quite well! I don't think that height really comes into play that much until they get into the much higher levels. I've never said anything about her height in her presence because I don't want her to feel limited in any way. She loves gymnastics and shouldn't feel like the sport is only for short people. Sometimes a change of location and a fresh start can do wonders so don't be afraid to explore what else is out there. Good luck!

We haven't worked on anything too advanced at home, just cartwheels/roundoffs/handstands really. Those are what her coach recommended she work on.

So is there anything beyond that which would be safe to practice at home? She's less distracted by her friends and feels safer because I'm right with her and we put down pillows.

I think she's just starting to develop the muscle strength and coordination needed. Her cartwheels look very graceful and really better than the kids who were ahead of her.

Maybe I should try putting her in a tumbling class where she could get more individualized attention and still be safe.

Thank you for the quick replies!

Yes.. I think a change of scenery may help. Her class at school is pretty large and she doesn't get much individual attention. I don't think she's comfortable trying to do these things without direct guidance. Maybe we'll try the tumbling class at one of the local gyms. Thanks everyone!

I would pay attention to her form mostly. Are her legs straight? Toes pointed? When she finishes a handstand or a cartwheel, are her arms up and tight by her ears and her chest up? A coach will notice a tight body and good form over what tricks she can do in my opinion. Try having her do her cartwheel on a line (I used to use duct tape on the carpet) so that her body stays straight. She should start in a lunge and end in a lunge facing the opposite way, arms up. Ok, now the old coach in me is coming out. :) Oh, also have her do bridges, it will help with her back flexibility. Her arms should again be next to her ears and she should try to keep her legs together and straight if she can. Hope this helps!

My DD is also a late starter. We were in a similar position in spring. DD was not ready to move into the competitive group. We were told to focus on splits (front/side), bridges, handstands, cartwheels/round offs on a line. We have a crash mat so she doesn't hurt herself. Also to get a chin up bar and do chin ups, chin ups, chin ups! Like has been suggested, we concentrate on her form. Within 6-8 weeks of practising consistently at home, she was moved into the competitive group. When I watch her with the other kids, I often notice that those who are a bit ahead of her skill wise don't have great form. I prefer her to have good form on basic skills which will eventually progress into skills she'll need to pass later grades (must logically be harder to fix bad habits later on).

I think you should try a class at a USA gymnastics member club that uses a progression based system. Also, working on the bars, trampoline and beam are important for developing the strength, balance, and coordination needed for more advanced tumbling skills.

I don't think you can really say that a 7-year-old is a "slow starter." I mean, she's 7! She is young for a 3rd grader, and she's right around the age where things do start to "click" for most girls as far as form and such. Is it possible that the coach is comparing her with girls who, while they may be in the same grade, are actually close to a year older than her? That could make a big difference. I agree with maybe trying a class at a gym rather than at school.

Both my girls started in recreational classes at a nearby gym. My oldest daughter was asked early on to join team while my younger daughter was repeatedly bypassed--she would get progress reports indicating lack of progress constantly. At that time, I just figured she just didn't have the athletic ability to become a gymnast.

My youngest daughter, however, was determined to get on team once she saw her sister coming home with ribbons and trophies. Fast forward to today--my youngest daughter is now an optional gymnast and placed 3rd AA at States last year (my oldest daughter no longer does gymnastics).

So, yes, some can have a slow start and then just take off. I wouldn't worry so much about body type either. For example, my daughter's teammate who is tall and lean came in 1st at States.

Strength, strength, strength. Oh did I mention strength? Gymnastics is mostly about strength. If they aren't strong enough, the skills are much harder to perform. We learned this the hard way with my DD. She has a really tough time building muscle and strength. That has made her progression in gymnastics much slower. One of my DDs coaches explained to us that gymnastics is about 90% strength and 10% skill. Work lots of core, arm and leg strength exercises. It will make learning the skills easier and quicker.

I agree that strength is key. This is something you can do together at home. Basics like push ups and sit ups; a chin-up bar is a great investment. But this is all IF she is on board. Don't push or you'll create more problems long-term. And on the same vein, I really think it's a bad idea to attempt to coach her at home. Even if you *do* get things right, and teach her the the way her coach would want her to be taught, you are adding yourself into the equation. This should really be *her* sport. I know it seems silly now when she's young, but down the road this can cause problems with your relationship AND with her natural love of the sport - trust me. If she is begging you to practice at home, I think strength training, splits, and handstands are pretty safe and fun for both of you.

I would pay attention to her form mostly. Are her legs straight? Toes pointed? When she finishes a handstand or a cartwheel, are her arms up and tight by her ears and her chest up? A coach will notice a tight body and good form over what tricks she can do in my opinion. Try having her do her cartwheel on a line (I used to use duct tape on the carpet) so that her body stays straight. She should start in a lunge and end in a lunge facing the opposite way, arms up. Ok, now the old coach in me is coming out. :) Oh, also have her do bridges, it will help with her back flexibility. Her arms should again be next to her ears and she should try to keep her legs together and straight if she can. Hope this helps!

This is really what I'm focusing on with her. She was doing 'cartwheels' kind of before we began practicing. But it was more of a disorganized jump around with low, bent legs and landing on her knees most of the time. We've worked up to a very pretty V shaped straight leg(over body) cartwheel that she lands with both feet. To my untrained eye, she looks like she has just about perfect form at this point.

Definitely a good idea to have her work on the lunges and other strength/flexibility exercises. I think this will really help her.

My DD is also a late starter. We were in a similar position in spring. DD was not ready to move into the competitive group. We were told to focus on splits (front/side), bridges, handstands, cartwheels/round offs on a line. We have a crash mat so she doesn't hurt herself. Also to get a chin up bar and do chin ups, chin ups, chin ups! Like has been suggested, we concentrate on her form. Within 6-8 weeks of practising consistently at home, she was moved into the competitive group. When I watch her with the other kids, I often notice that those who are a bit ahead of her skill wise don't have great form. I prefer her to have good form on basic skills which will eventually progress into skills she'll need to pass later grades (must logically be harder to fix bad habits later on).

Sounds similar to my DD's situation. She seems to be learning them later- but at a time when she's learned better coordination and understanding of what she is to do. The kids who learned them earlier may get stuck with bad habits they learned early. There's still hope for my Lizzy!:)

I think you should try a class at a USA gymnastics member club that uses a progression based system. Also, working on the bars, trampoline and beam are important for developing the strength, balance, and coordination needed for more advanced tumbling skills.

Now I have an idea for a new thread:).

I don't think you can really say that a 7-year-old is a "slow starter." I mean, she's 7! She is young for a 3rd grader, and she's right around the age where things do start to "click" for most girls as far as form and such. Is it possible that the coach is comparing her with girls who, while they may be in the same grade, are actually close to a year older than her? That could make a big difference. I agree with maybe trying a class at a gym rather than at school.

I don't think she is at all.. This is why I hadn't worried about it a bit when I saw she was taking her time to learn the skills. I figured she was just young and it would come to her. I was really hurt actually that her coach was so hard on her-- but, maybe facing this and conquering it will be good for her.

She is actually the youngest child in her class. I regret letting her start so early, but she seemed ready at the time. So yes, she actually is a year behind the other kids in age and maturity. But she has been in gymnastics the same amount of time.

Both my girls started in recreational classes at a nearby gym. My oldest daughter was asked early on to join team while my younger daughter was repeatedly bypassed--she would get progress reports indicating lack of progress constantly. At that time, I just figured she just didn't have the athletic ability to become a gymnast.

My youngest daughter, however, was determined to get on team once she saw her sister coming home with ribbons and trophies. Fast forward to today--my youngest daughter is now an optional gymnast and placed 3rd AA at States last year (my oldest daughter no longer does gymnastics).

So, yes, some can have a slow start and then just take off. I wouldn't worry so much about body type either. For example, my daughter's teammate who is tall and lean came in 1st at States.

Watching others is such a huge motivation for children!! She really does want this for herself. It's not my influence. Probably from watching her friends.

Strength, strength, strength. Oh did I mention strength? Gymnastics is mostly about strength. If they aren't strong enough, the skills are much harder to perform. We learned this the hard way with my DD. She has a really tough time building muscle and strength. That has made her progression in gymnastics much slower. One of my DDs coaches explained to us that gymnastics is about 90% strength and 10% skill. Work lots of core, arm and leg strength exercises. It will make learning the skills easier and quicker.

Thanks for the tip. I am finding this true!

I agree that strength is key. This is something you can do together at home. Basics like push ups and sit ups; a chin-up bar is a great investment. But this is all IF she is on board. Don't push or you'll create more problems long-term. And on the same vein, I really think it's a bad idea to attempt to coach her at home. Even if you *do* get things right, and teach her the the way her coach would want her to be taught, you are adding yourself into the equation. This should really be *her* sport. I know it seems silly now when she's young, but down the road this can cause problems with your relationship AND with her natural love of the sport - trust me. If she is begging you to practice at home, I think strength training, splits, and handstands are pretty safe and fun for both of you.

I am not pushing her at all. This is something she wants very badly. She identifies herself as a 'gymnast' and wants to continue on with her friends. The only reason I've stepped in at all is because when her coach said those things to her- she was crushed and felt like she couldn't do it. So I'm helping her to successfully do the things she wants to do anyways so she can see the value of working hard and not giving up.

As far as 'adding myself into the equation'.. After 3 years of gymnastics classes(weekly during the school year) - the only things she could do were forward/backward rolls and headstands. There was no individualized instruction in her class. For whatever reason- she didn't learn the things the teacher asked her to.

I've been the resource by helping her find videos and giving her feedback. I'm there to keep her safe and be her cheerleader. She's now learned cartwheels (two types) and handstands. It's definitely still 'her sport'. She does it herself and under her own motivation - but she's more successful with individual attention.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back